1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Day 8 question

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by LindaRK, Feb 13, 2014.

1. LindaRK

LindaRK Well known member

Unable to locate the profile story to read for Peg Hanson. Advice?

2. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

3. LindaRK

LindaRK Well known member

Thank you, but I still can't find it.

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Me either

5. Morrie

Morrie New Member

I as well can't find it

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'll ask Forest or Becca to find it for you all.

7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for getting in touch, Walt. When I clicked on the link, it worked well, so I'd love to know what happened for others. The key is that you just have to scroll down a bit to get to the interesting parts.

What happened when you tried?

Here's the "My Story" part:
    MY TMS STORY...

I suffered with 10 years of chronic pain, muscle spasm, tingling in my neck, upper back and arms. I tried many treatments, both traditional and alternative. Cervical traction, chiropractic, massage, myotherapy, trigger point release, physical therapy, cervical collar, medications, acupuncture, homeopathy. I even had surgery on one of my shoulders for a supposed shoulder impingement. Some of the treatments gave short term relief only. The surgery did nothing to help. I spent years searching for an answer, and thousands of dollars out of pocket. I had testing and the diagnoses I received were bulging discs, degenerative disc disease, and arthritis. I was offered no hope of a cure. I was 40 at the time, yet physically felt like I was 90 due to the pain. I had no hope for my future because if I had a degenerative process, it would only get worse. My pain went from a low level annoyance to becoming debilitating.I had pain every day, all day I struggled to care for my children and home. I felt like a failure as a mother and wife, and became depressed about my situation.

By the time I found Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain book, I was desperate. Being a medical professional, I was skeptical as I began to read the claims of relief without surgery, PT, or specific treatments. I decided, I had nothing to lose by reading the book except a couple of hours of my time.

I found myself on every page of his book. I felt he knew me despite never having met me. He was telling my story. I literally wept as I read the book and found a glimmer of hope. I began to improve slowly and continued to read and re-read, began a gradual return to activities, as well as starting to journal about emotional issues and feelings. As I applied his theory to my life, I continued to improve both physically and emotionally. Amazingly, I'm still doing well 10 years later!

I also read many books by other authors, which increased my confidence in the mind body connection as well as bringing me further in my healing journey. Many others are saying essentially the same thing, but Dr. Sarno states it boldly and confidently, which I believe is how he gets through to so many that read his books. I also believe that is why some who read his work are resistant, thinking it does not apply to them, that is until a year or two later, when their pain has persisted despite various treatments. When revisited, many come to accept the idea and begin their healing.

I did not have an instantaneous resolution of my symptoms (although I now know people who have). It has been a gradual process of healing and self discovery for me, but well worth it. I have had occasional episodes of some discomfort over the years (during stressful times) but now I know how to address it and can make it go away pretty easily. The most important thing is that it has never been as bad as it was at it's worst, and most of the time I have no pain at all. I no longer have fear and I know that I am healthy and strong. I have no limitations in what I can do, at least physically (any limitations are those I impose on myself due to self doubt). I have proven that to myself over and over again in the past 10 years since recovering from chronic pain. Probably the most physical things I have been able to do is that I painted an entire house (over the course of a year), took a dance class, learned scuba, rode a bicycle 110 miles in a day (having trained for it in only 3 weeks), and started jogging at the age of 52.

The journey continues as I work to create more balance in my life with meditation, healthy eating, exercise, self care, and self acceptance. As I see it, one of the big stumbling blocks to healing is the pressure we place on ourselves to complete it or to do it perfectly. I found a quote I like that speaks to this. (Proust, M., Pleasure and Days: And Other Writings, New York, NY: Fertig, 1978)

"The Journey is never over,
    To travel hopefully
    Is a better thing
    Than to arrive"

I wish you all Health and Peace.

Best Regards,
    Peg​