1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

day 8; one crucial question!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by stranger, Nov 21, 2012.

1. stranger

stranger New Member

Hi guys

So I've had this herniated disc, which I until two weeks ago, assumed were the cause of my pain; I've realized that its not! The same with my ruptured supraspinatus tendon..

Anyway, I'm following the structural education program on the website, and this is my 8th day.. I've noticed that my pain went down from a solid 8 to a 3-4, in just one week. I must admit, that its kinda hard to think psychological whenever I'am having the pain (it comes back approximately twice at day I think, but then goes away..)..This problem prolonges the pain, and keeps it constant for more that it should be..
    I've started to talk to my self. I keep pinching a fleshy point between my thumb and pointing finger, while saying that its all good, and that I am healthy, and that the pain is my brains way to protect me from repressed emotions.. It works! It actually does!
    Today when I had the pain, I talked to my brain (how weird is that?!), and actually reffered to it as "Doctor"; dont know why to be honest..I told it to slow down, and to supply my back with oxygen. After one hour of conversation with it, the pain stopped..

My question is now:

How can I prevent the pain from ever coming again? I keep getting these panic attacks, whenever the pain arrives, and I suppose that the panic is even worse than the pain itself..

Do you guys have any advice on what to do??

Thanks alot!!

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

I keep reading about the pain, anxiety, pain, anxiety cycle that feeds off each other My physical therapist taught me diaphramatic breathing or belly breathing as Dr. Schubiner calls it. I used my phone alarm to get me in the habit of doing it regularly. I breath to the count of 6 in and 6 out slowly.

I do it all the time while watching Tv, waiting in line, in the Doctors office. I do it the last hour before I go to bed. I feel like I am floating on a cloud. The next step is to close you eyes and focusing on your breathing. You will be moving into meditation. Look on the internet for instructions for diaphramatic breting instructions.

It helps me immensely with anxiety and pain. Good luck.

JanAtheCPA and veronica73 like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome "stranger", and congratulations on the start of your new life!

This is great advice from Sandy. I've also found that meditative breathing helps with panic attacks.

Many of us here on the forum (if not most) suffer from chronic anxiety. Dr. Sarno and many of his followers believe that anxiety is a TMS equivalent, which takes a little bit of work to accept, but when you do accept that, it makes sense. The little book that really helped me shortly after I read my first Sarno book is Hope & Help for Your Nerves, by Dr. Claire Weekes (I bought my copy used on Amazon). Dr. Weekes (who is no longer with us) wrote this book in 1969 - and it's still some of the best advice around for anxiety.

Good luck, keep posting and let us know how you're doing,

Jan

jullemire likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

PS - I should warn you in advance that expecting to be 100% cured so that the pain never comes back is probably unrealistic. Your success will come when you realize you're having more good days than bad days, and, even more importantly, in experiencing a different relationship with your symptoms, especially your anxiety. This alone is very freeing and will change your life for the better.

Be sure to check out the posts by our expert professionals and authors - they have great information to impart.

Good luck, keep posting, and let us know how you're doing!

Jan