1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8; My TMS story up to this point

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by rcguy1982, Apr 24, 2015.

1. rcguy1982

rcguy1982 New Member

Hello fellow TMS people,

Just taking this time to reflect on my TMS story up to this point in time. For the post part, I think I am doing pretty well. I feel like I have not been overly obsessing over my hand pain and issues; which feels great. I have not been limiting what I do either. I also have reflected a lot and determined that I do indeed have a lot of emotional issues to work on. I went to a TMS doctor this previous week, and he was great (Dr. Gwozdz). For me, speaking to someone (an unbiased party) about what is going on with me, was very therapeutic. It was also helpful to hear what he thought about what I was going through. I have been reading and re-reading John Sarno's books, which really seem to ring true for me. I look forward to more progress and know this is only the beginning.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, rcguy. You are doing everything right. If your hand pain and other issues are not structural, they are from TMS
    and you recognize that you have a lot of emotional issues to work on. That will come from journaling, as the SEP suggests.

Sometimes or even often, repressed emotions going as far back as our childhood are triggered by recent events.
    I came down with severe back pain and thought it was from lifting a case of 36 cans of beer at the supermarket,
    and I was 82 at the time. I learned I had not injured my back but had TMS repressed anger and feelings of abandonment
    and insecurity after my parents divorced when I was seven. I thought I had done a good job of repressing those emotions,
    but around the time that my back began to ache, my best friend and his wife divorced. I had felt like part of their family (they had
    three preteenage children). I now believe their divorce triggered my repressed emotions from my parents divorcing during my childhood.
    I journaled about it all and was able to forgive my parents and the pain went away.

Journaling can be a great adventure to self-awareness and healing from TMS pains. Good luck as you do the daily practices.

3. rcguy1982

rcguy1982 New Member

Thank you so much for your kind words Walt. I am so glad you found a way out of your pain and I know that I am on your way. I have read many of your comments on the forum and am in awe about your success. I am actually planning on joining the chat today at 3pm (my first one) and am excited about that.

Thanks again,

Rich

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Rich.
    Actually, sometimes the lower back pain returns, not nearly as bad as before.
    I keep in mind that it is not structural but from emotions. Problems come up every day for everyone,
    and even those of us who have healed from TMS just deal with them as we did before.
    The best ways I have are still deep breathing and laughing. Not at the same time, haha!

Dr. Sarno says that for a lot of people, their TMS pain is not from years of repressing emotions
    but from a perfectionist or goodist personality, so be sure to journal about those character traits.

Welcome to the forum and chat room.

5. rcguy1982

rcguy1982 New Member

Thanks Walt! I will definitely keep that in mind through this process.

Have a great rest of the day!!!