1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 7 Day 7:One week in and progress so far

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jwiles, Jul 31, 2015.

1. jwiles

jwiles Peer Supporter

So i'm one week into the SEP program and i'm three weeks into returning to my TMS diagnosis. I've read in one of doctor Sarnos book that a lot of his patients see a improvement of around 85% within the first three weeks of their recovery. I wouldn't say that i've recovered that much but if i included all my symptoms i'd say i feel close to 50 percent recovered maybe between 40-50% which is pretty good for me. I'm still having some issues especially with handwriting and cramps but i am able to type a lot more these days and i've been able to return to music at least some which feels like a big improvement to me( i have to reassert these improvements in my typing and in my head because i still have a part of me trying to convince me otherwise and give the notion that the pain will only return). The pain overall has decreased a great amount i don't get pain in my elbows or forearms much anymore, only occasionally the last few weeks. I don't get much pain in my hands either with the exception of afew areas on my right hand i've been complaining about. Swelling seems to of decreased some too except for a few areas on my right hand.I've been getting swelling in my right middle and ring finger around the base and it's caused two veins to bulge out that have been concerning me. I wont lie the new symptom has made me want to run to the first doctor i can find and annoy them with questions but i'm trying to avoid at least for now. I'm still getting tremors but i don't pay as much attention to them and i do believe that they have decreased at least a little. Overall it's obvious that i still need a good amount of work but at the same time i feel like it's obvious i have improved some. I spent around eight months doing physical therapy self massage and trying different medicines and vitamins and i must say i've improved more in these three weeks then i did in the overall eight month attempt. I'm still having issues with my handwriting honestly that bothers me more than any other activity involving my hands right now. My hands just cramp up easy but i'm still working on it. Today i wrote a page front and back and just worked through the pain. I do wish i could push myself further into my activities but my lingering amounts of pain and my deep down skeptical fear are kind of keeping me from going further into it right now. I will get there i just believe maybe it takes a little more time for me.

Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain? If you have, how do these emotions make you feel? If not, what do you think is preventing you from doing this? This is a hard question for me to answer at this point because for one i feel like just recognizing that my pain was caused by repressed emotions was enough to get rid of a good chunk of my pain. At the same time though i feel like i may not of found either the exact cause or the overall factors that play into the pain. I'm feeling like it's a mixture of low self esteem, fear, worry and an overall sense of anxiety over things i don't have control of. I also feel like i have some perfectionist qualities and i feel like a need an overall acceptance from my peers. I also feel like maybe deep down i just don't feel complete and i'm just not that happy. All of these possible traits and emotions surely overwhelm me somedays. Maybe i have found the answers but haven't found a way to coupe with them well enough or i don't realize the depth of them or some other factors that may play along with them.

Lets hope for great improvement for the next week!!!

2. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Just keep at it, this does work, but it requires patience and kindness to yourself. Remember, think psychologically, not structurally. You are OK, this will improve. I finished the SEP 2 weeks ago and am 100% pain free, it is truly astonishing. Keep up the work and the positive mental attitude (PMA).

Kev