1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 7: feedback please

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Archie, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

hi, the TMS diagnosis makes more and more sense to me, however, something has recently popped into my head which I can't figure out - there are a few foods/supplements which appear to worsen my restless legs (RLS) and in a couple of cases when I have stopped them and then restarted after a period of time, the flare-up has been duplicated. In both cases, I did not initially expect this to happen (as opposed to back pain where there is the anticipation that a movement will cause pain), so am now worried ! If anyone can propose an explanation which fits with the TMS I would be very grateful. Thankyou.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

When you quit the foods, you were anticipating that they might make a difference. When you restarted them, you anticipated that they might make a difference. I think this is an example of "predictive coding," which Dr. Schubiner encourages sufferers to investigate. Or put differently, you're probably seeing both placebo and nocebo effects.

3. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

Thankyou for replying Andy B; what you say makes sense - I think I have a lot of fear around the RLS, and anxiety over the Sarno theory, desperately wanting my RLS not to by physical, but worrying that it still may be! And I think I am consequently on "hyper-alert" for anything which points to a physical explanation. There also really did seem to be a correlation between some foods/supplements and severity of symptoms, plus confirmation from other sufferers experiences of the same things. I have to say though, the biggest factor has always been stress and anxiety which completely links into the TMS theory. I will investigate the predictive coding. Thankyou.

4. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Hi Archie, I agree with Andy B, this is "predictive coding". I am in general puzzled about the connection between foods and RLS - this sounds to me rather spurious. There will be always 'other sufferers' who support one's experience. This is why patient groups are not always helpful but they enforce each other.
    I also have restless legs, though I won't call it a syndrome. For me it just is part of my stressed nervous system. If I calm down, my feet are not restless anymore.