1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 5 Day 5

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jwiles, May 14, 2015.

1. jwiles

jwiles Peer Supporter

I thought about what emotions I could be repressing today. I think I might be getting close to something but I'm not sure. I don't think it's from my childhood although I do have some unpleasant experiences. I think it has something to do with around the time the pain started. Today I was supposed to journal for 15 to 20 minutes. My hand simply just couldn't do it 15 to 20 minutes so I wrote for about 10. I feel like 10 minutes should be good enough I wrote over half a page that's pretty good for me.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jwlies. Journaling even 5 or 10 minutes is fine.
    Actually, if it's painful to write after 10 minutes, just talk your journaling to yourself.
    Maybe jot down a key word to remind yourself later of what stresses you.

I didn't think my childhood was much different from other kids I grew up with,
    but journaling led me realize I was repressing feelings from my parents divorcing
    when I was 7. So we never know for sure until we spend some time thinking about
    what went on in our lives when we were kids.

3. jwiles

jwiles Peer Supporter

Even after you discovered the repressed emotions that may be causing some of your physical symptoms can you expect immediate relief or does it take a lot longer for some people

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jwiles,

In journaling, you may find certain striking emotions that you were not aware of before, and you will have evidence of the turmoil of your inner life, how it could be connected to Dr. Sarno's work. I wouldn't worry too much about finding certain exact things though. Some people do, and they are sure. For others it is just letting yourself feel and know more about your inner life. My point is don't pressure yourself to find an exact answer. Any information/feeling can be applied to your understanding if you think it might cause strong reactions in your inner child.

There is no certain time frame with any of this. Developing patience about the process is important. I slowly began to walk, challenging my conditioned foot pain, and added very slowly over time, never connecting my cure to any particular understanding. Each person finds their own way in this. Practice devotion to your personal truth and sincerity to understand yourself over time, and it will unfold...Good luck.

Andy B.