1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 5- question?!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Nanna7, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Nanna7

Nanna7 New Member

ok so Ive learnt today that being aware during a stressful time and calming yourself down should stop pain from occurring in the future.

However isn't this the problem why I have pain?! Because I've had stressful situations and got through it with a smile on my face so to speak and moved on with life.

Eg today my puppy went to run out on the road but head butted a glass door full speed and cried terribly it was awful. I attended to her and she calmed down and is fine and we've moved on.
    It was traumatic but life go's on. This is how I've dealt with most things in life and now am dealing with tms pain.

How can I actually deal with a trauma for real and not have repercussions eg for today's incident?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Nanni. As a total dog lover (I'm living with my third black Lab mix) I know how traumatic it can be to hear a puppy cry in pain. Fortunately, you gave your darling comfort and love and it calmed. Dogs seem to have a short memory for things like pain, but a long memory for love. I treasure every day I have with my Annie.

I find it very helpful not only to smile at adversity, but to laugh at it. Laughing has gotten me through a lot of hard times.

Nanna7 likes this.
  3. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hi Nanna 7,

What a lucky puppy to have you to comfort it. You are right. Be aware that unconscious emotions/anger have caused you chronic pain. Calm down in the sense that you don't let fear of your pain perpetuate more pain. Also, calm down your lifestyle at times by being more mindful and in the moment. Calm down by not having the constant chatter in your brain or inner bully, or every constant worry. When you feel that, soothe yourself like you did your puppy. Most TMS personalities need this.
    Have you been hard on yourself? Have you given all of yourself to others but not taken care of your needs? Be calm and nurturing to yourself and at the same time, journal and explore what could be locked away in the unconscious and eventually, your pain should subside.
    Best Wishes,
    Ines

Gigi and Nanna7 like this.
  4. Nanna7

Nanna7 New Member

Hi Ines
    Thank you so much your words have really helped me! Soothe myself like I did my puppy... Wow I really needed that and have taken this advice on board already with success!

Thank you so much!

I am hour willing and working through this program as best I can but do miss a day here and there but am getting through it. It's a lot of work but then I'm hopeful I will knock pain on its head forever more so will get through this program no matter what!

Ines likes this.
  5. Ines

Ines Well known member

That's great! I've been taking my time with the program. It's a lot for me to do it every day. I've spread it out to about 2 1/2 months now. I"m about 2 days away. Don't push yourself too hard and try not to monitor your progress. Just keep going with it, and if you stumble with pain, say "oh well.." and just continue on. It's really hard. I've been trying my best but it's tough. Good luck to you. : )