1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

day 5 and 6

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by karinabrown, Feb 27, 2016.

1. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

The task this day is : journal about stressfull event:
    I did, but what most is clear after doing that : i picked a very stressfull big thing in my life:
    and i write so easy about this : but not real emotions come up: besides
    one : i feel irritaded somewhat to do it : like i want just to get it over with
    not tears or deep emotions. words came easy like i was filling in a newsreport..
    what to think of this?
    i know that it was a very big thing but don't really feel it now!

any thought on this ? does it matter ? should i re-feel it all?
    or what ? feeling nothing seems kinda strange and not really helpful

greetings
    Karina

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, karinabrown. I don't think you have to feel the stressful event. It's enough to recognize that it is a major cause of your symptoms. When you subconscious mind knows that, it will stop sending the pain, whatever it is. This happens faster for some people than others. And the subconscious may need some time to firmly believe you believe in the repressed event causing your pain. It can be very stressful to feel the repressed event, but that is not necessary to heal.

3. karinabrown

Hi walt,

That's good to know.
    I just was wondering if me feeling not very enthousiatic about journaling could mean something. Ofcourse not very willing to relive that period of my life.
    You said t is importanted to understand the role it plays in my pain: But how would i know when not feeling it now? I made a list and now wonder wich event caused pain? A specifik one? All of them? Does it matter to know? I think if its the key i should know and get past things? closure ? Too many questions i know i am.sorry!
    Karina

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Karina. I know that journaling can be stressful, bringing up the past. But I found that I just had to list the things I thought caused me to have repressed emotions. I didn't have to spend more than a few minutes remembering them. In my case it was realizing I had been repressing feelings of anger and abandonment and insecurity when my parents divorced when I was seven. My subconscious must have decided that was the cause of my repressed emotion because my severe back pain went away.

So I suggest that in your journaling, you write very briefly about what emotions you think are causing your pain. Let your subconscious decide which one or ones are the ones that, as Dr. Sarno says, are causing you to be angry, and which he says builds up inside us over the years as inner rage.

Try not to spend more than half an hour or an hour a day on the SEProgram or it could be too stressful for you. Then do things and think of things that give you pleasure, even if it's kicking a garbage can.

5. karinabrown

Hi walt,

The halfhour- hour max is a good tip..already limited my time to that
    Problem with the emotions is: I do not feel i repressed them. So when i write down how i felt..how would that change things now?
    Was well aware of my grieve and fears at the Time. When i started to get pain: I was a lot angry and also outloud: Did really kick that garbagecan(was stupid since i already had my footpain) so was a lot angry and frustrated..now not so much anymore : Things calmed down: Must admit: So did the pain. But never went totally. Are still limited by it, and live a restricted life