1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 5 - a pain-free Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by wendyd, Nov 27, 2014.

1. wendyd

wendyd Peer Supporter

I had a relatively good day yesterday. In the middle of the night, I felt the pain again. I reminded myself that there was nothing to fear in the pain and did affirmations in my head. I woke up this morning with pain. I'm a little discouraged but trying to move thru it. It's Thanksgiving. I make dinner every year and I know that the stress and resentment brings on pain. So, this year, the activity I would LOVE to do without pain is to make Thanksgiving dinner pain-free. I want to finish the day without being achy and exhausted all over. I want to enjoy the process and enjoy having family here. I'm going to focus on the positive and not be afraid. It is benign. It will pass. Right?

Tennis Tom likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Right, wendyd. If you get pain today it will pass. You expect stress from hosting a turkey dinner today so that can bring on the pain.
    Maybe try living in the present moment as you prepare for the dinner and guests. Focus your mind on what you are doing for every stage
    of the preparation... "I am vacuuming the house now." "I am setting the table now." "The turkey is roasting in the oven
    and I peeling the potatoes." "I am cutting the veggies now for the salad." Keep your mind on those activities and it can help not
    to think ahead for stressful people or situations. If they come up, laugh them off, and if you can't laugh in private, cover your mouth
    with a towel or apron and laugh. I bet you're going to have a great holiday and make lots of loved ones happy.

3. wendyd

wendyd Peer Supporter

Thank you, Walt. Thank you for your comforting words and for taking time out of you Thanksgiving day to reply to me, a total stranger. You have no idea how much that means to me. Amazing that you knew exactly what I was making! ;) I focused on the present and got thru the day feeling ok. Shed a few tears, had a few laughs. Tomorrow is another day. Thankful.

4. Irene

Irene Peer Supporter

Congratulations on your pain - free Thanksgiving, wendyd! And, thank you for posting the outcome.