1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4y

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by KateK, Aug 11, 2019.

1. KateK

KateK New Member

There were so many disheartening remarks doctors said to me about my symptoms. It makes me sad to even think doctors, professionals, said things like this to a minor. I think the one that still sticks with me is just them saying this was forever, I was 13, I had grown up seeing my mother have chronic back pain and being depressed and they had doomed me to that future as well. I was so scared and fought the diagnosis for years, I'm glad I did as I've found my answers and am healing. The other comments that affected me the worst were probably that I would never go to college. Education was and is so important to me, it was the one thing I really excelled in as my pain prevented me from being athletic or doing extracurriculars, but I was a smart straight A student. I've spent the last three years at university proving them wrong and will hopefully start my masters program next year too. Any time I struggle in school, these remarks ring in my head and I get really down, and eventually get back up and use it as motivation.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I too had lots of crap advice from doctors. I now think of it as - just that - advice. It is that one person's advice in a given situation - they are not perfect and they know very little about you or me.... The person who knows you best - is you! So it is you who has to take the lead on decisions in your own life and health. We so easily give our energy away to others - don't! Take responsibility for yourself. Like you have with your education. Good on you for ignoring their advice and carrying on to do what YOU want to do. Just be kind to yourself in all these decisions - and the healing will continue!

KateK and JanAtheCPA like this.