1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Stef, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

The question to ponder today is about what the most disheartening thing a practitioner has told me. I love to exercise & was told by an NP and a chiropractor that it isn't a good idea to do anything involving jumping. I thought it was kind of sad...not too devastating but I like to incorporate some of those movements in my workouts. I have started doing some of them again though just fine. Besides, I thought it was good to build up bones with weight bearing activity anyway...to prevent osteoporosis. After my hip arthroscopy the PA also told me they don't really recommend anyone to run (I wasn't too sad about that) because it is bad for the joints or anything such as Zumba because the movements torque on the joints (or something like that) too. I have done a step class a few times recently & it has been fine & kind of fun. Still getting over some fear though with certain movements but I have stayed fairly active...just had taken it down a notch. At one point I was mostly just doing my PT exercise because it got to be quite a lot of them towards the end but I have let those go. I like to exercise but they were boring & felt like a death sentence. They told me I would have to watch this the rest of my life & that I should incorporate at least a few of the exercise in a few days a week. I just do what I like now.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Stef. Unless jumping gives you a real lot of pain, I think it's okay to continue.
    Steve Ozanich in his great book THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION says continuing to play golf despite pain helped heal him, together with discovering his repressed TMS emotions.

If jumping causes a lot of pain, why not just do less strenuous leg exercises?

3. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

Hi Walt,
    That is the thing...there isn't any pain jumping. It is the "you have scoliosis & shouldn't jump." Or "running & jumping is bad for the joints"...as in NOBODY should do those things because we are so fragile right? Ha ha...I don't believe that nonsense anymore.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Good, Stef. Believe in yourself. The mind can heal us better than pills or surgery.

I have a new trick to avoid anxiety. I turn off the telephone! I do not want more calls from creditors.
    If family and friends want to contact me, they do it by email.

5. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

Oh yeah...I agree. I keep my cell phone on silence & just check it time to time. Keep up the positivity Walt...we will not let ANYONE keep us in a fear mentality. We took the power back!