1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Day 4

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jwiles, May 12, 2015.

1. jwiles

jwiles Peer Supporter

What was the most disheartining thing a doctor has told you about your smuptoms? In what ways have you kept that in your mind? Well The first question is two things really one orthopedic told me it could be A severE neurological condition which scared me. I was later cleared by a neurologist. The second thing was when another orthopedic told me that there may not be an answer to be found to why I'm in pain. That made me angry. I've kept it in my mind in the sense that maybe I would always be in pain because I can't find the cause So I can't fix it. My general physician diagnosed me with rsi recently but that still doesn't help me feel like I can correct it even with some vague diagnosis.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I take what doctors tell me with not only a grain of salt but a whole box of it.

A chief cancer surgeon for a major hospital told me I had a cancerous growth on my neck
    and it required immediate surgery. I asked him first to take a culture to see if it was cancerous
    and had to spend twenty minutes insisting since he refused. The culture was taken and a week
    later I called for the results. He was out on a skiing vacation so his secretary looked up my file
    and said the culture showed it was just a water pimple. It went away in a week.
    No surgery, but I could have had my neck opened needlessly.

So yes, I am skeptical of doctors.

Your pain may very well be TMS because tests have not showed it is structural.
    I urge you to continue in the SEP and learn what the emotional causes are of your pain.

Good luck and keep positive.