1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dusty67, Mar 23, 2015.

1. dusty67

dusty67 Peer Supporter

Well day 4 and my assignment is to post my response to the most disheartening thing a Dr has told me. Well....several things actually. The first physiotherapist that I saw (who runs 2 physio clinics in my area and is very well respected for her work in my community) told me that she disagreed with the radiologists interpretation of my MRI and that there definately WAS nerve root involvement in my spine as I had numbness and tingling in my feet. She said if I had another MRI in a different machine with a different radiologist interpreting I would most definitely get a different reading. She told me she also disagreed with my GP's opinion that there was nothing "Majorly" wrong with my back (most of it all normal findings in someone over 40, that my herniated discs will heal but I will have some degree of pain throughout my life due to the arthritis but I would still be able to function and lead a normal life.) She said I had SO MUCH going on with my back that if I had any hope of recovery I should quit my job, stop doing anything & everything immediately!!!! I went into a panic attack in her office (chattering teeth and all) and she proceeded to hook me up to a traction machine....my pain went through the roof. Ya Think????????? I went back a couple of more times hoping for help....I only got worse. My Dr told me not to go back to her. Then I had a massage therapist tell me that my back muscles are so tight they are pressing on my nerves and it would be a very long road ahead to fix. He also told me that because I had pain so long it seemed to becoming chronic which is where Fibromyalgia comes from and that my nerves are all now firing off out of control. Scared me to death! Then....the final assessment from my GP was that there is no magic surgery for me, I was rejected by the spine clinic, I was rejected by the physiatrist....she told me that I have been handed a chronic pain condition that I will have to deal with to some degree for the rest of my life. She also said the same thing as my massage therapist...I have been in pain for so long that my nerves are "overloaded" and they are all firing off randomly. Interesting thing is she prescribed me an anti depressant and said if I can get my emotions under control then my pain levels should reduce and I should be able to live a full happy life. I did not start the antidepressant but continued to look for answers online....That's when I read Mind Body Prescription and saw myself on every page.....

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Dusty, I am so glad you found out about TMS!!! You can go back over your post and correct it with an old fashioned red pen! The more you learn the more you will refute. Hang in there!

dusty67 likes this.
  3. dusty67

dusty67 Peer Supporter

Thanks Lizzy. Yes looking forward to erasing all those fictitious diagnoses from my memory :)

Lizzy likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Dusty. That physiotherapist and those doctors ought to hang up their shingles and take a permanent vacation from practice.
    Their reports on your symptoms are pure horse feathers.
    Fibromyalgia is a term doctors give when they don't know what causes the pain.
    Dr. Sarno writes in HEALING BACK PAIN that Fibromyalgia is TMS. He suggests TMS healing practices such as journaling'
    to discover the repressed emotions causing the pain. These often go back to our childhood.

The Structural Education Program is one of the best ways to discover the emotions causing pain. I urge you to do some
    serious journaling about your past and present. Something in the present, or recent, may have triggered something
    in your past that has brought on the pain.

TMS is a fantastic, life-changing journey to self-discovery and a healthy, happy life. Try to enjoy it,
    and also to believe 100 percent that your pain is TMS.

Lizzy likes this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

You might try to witness the fear each ridiculously non-attuned, misguided medical encounter invoked in you. The stimulus came from the outside. But you internalized it.

From the program: "In what ways have you kept that in your mind?" This is a good question.

Then when you are afraid, you can remember these scary encounters and own them as part of you: "Oh, right now I am scaring myself, just like that "idiot" scared me!" Then you can tell the fear to "Back Off!!" just like I hear you wanting to tell those practitioners!

Just some thoughts based on my understanding of projection. Have fun!!

Andy B.

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

From a quick read it sounds like you've found a GOOD DOCTOR, and sounds like the PT is advising in the best interest of her wallet. I would put the advice of a doctor who says there is nothing substantively wrong, over a PT who overrules a doctor and says there is.

I wouldn't shy away from doctor prescribed, MILD SHORT-TERM dosages, of anti-depressants to calm your nervous system to be able to function and receive the TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN. Studies have shown mild doses of anti-depressants to be beneficial--after-all, being in pain is depressing.

Like I said, I'm on the run and didn't read your post in detail and am only replying in general--and this is the internets--the virtual hot-tub of the universe.