1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 Day 4

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by hne913, Feb 6, 2014.

1. hne913

hne913 New Member

I love the part of the reading from today about the Phantom Limb. It really feels like it gave me another angle to explore this pain from. The article ends saying that the learned pain can be reversed and i'm like "HOW, TELL ME HOW!!" I guess I know how though. By slowly reminding my unconscious mind that I know what it's doing and it's not going to work anymore. By trying to ease my fear when the pain comes, and reminding myself it's just my subconscious, my phantom pain, poking me and letting me know I still have work to do.

To answer the questions to ponder from today: What was the most disheartening thing a doctor has told you about your symptoms? In what ways have you kept that in your mind?

I think the most disheartening experience was with a Chiropractor, who insisted I acknowledge the severity of my herniated disc and go through extreme measures to heal it with her help (eating copious amounts of rare beef for starters - and I was previously a vegetarian). Her energy around the severity of it really concerned me, and made me feel like this was going to be forever. That i'd somehow done something horrible to myself and my back was now punishing me for all the years of not stretching before I ran or pushing myself into difficult yoga poses my body wasn't yet ready for. I knew in my heart of hearts though that my body is strong - so why did it betray me? Now I know it still is strong. It's just oxygen deprivation, and I don't have to feel betrayed or somehow unable to be the me I know I can be.

2. LindaRK

LindaRK Well known member

Hi fellow Day 4 person! Like you, reading about phantom limb pain really opens your eyes (and brain), doesn't it? For me, that really puts mindbody issues into perspective. Just wanted to wish you luck on your journey - I'll be there, right along side of you!