1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Shells, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Shells

Shells Peer Supporter

I'm hesitantly posting here because, not suprisingly, can get OCD with forums.

I think I probably have TMS. I tore the labrum in my left hip 12 years ago, took 7 years for a proper diagnosis of the tear with FAI. Finally had surgery to repair and shave bones. Got a little better but formed scar tissue, had a 2nd surgery 2 years ago.

It's hard to know what's legitimate and what's TMS because my body compensated for so long. Also, seems to be common compensation issues with others who have FAI or laberal tears. I did became terrified and obsessed with the chronic spasms and trying to find the answer before I met my hip surgeon. I think maybe a real injury has turned into TMS and now it's how my brain responds. At the same time, I can feel where certain muscles are over developed and others are weak so it's confusing.

Definitely relate to many personality traits and it does get worse with stressful events and better when I'm not anxious.

I'm going to give the SEP a shot because I recently had about 8 months of major progress then have had a bad set back. The 8 months make me think TMS. It also coincided with a decrease in PT, big (for me) increase in activities and a major stressful event.

We'll see how it goes.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Shells,

Welcome to the Forum and the SEP. You might also, sooner than later do the Recovery Program at the Wiki.
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program

It teaches basic skills and viewpoints, and gives audio recorded examples that will be helpful throughout the SEP.

This is probably a very astute assessment, in my non-medical opinion :)

One thing to consider is that TMS can also cause muscle stiffness and weakness. So as you work the programs, and do more, you may directly be addressing some of the possible "issues" that seem, and may be complex.

For me personally I was told that since I had hardly walked for a long time, that I would need lots of exercises to regain foot strength, or not injure myself, or balance my gait ---none of this was true as my recovery deepened. I did start slowly to walk more, but then accelerated when it was apparent the pain was not coming back. Hold for yourself that so much of what you've been told is probably only a guess at best, but often spoken like Gospel. And then, in our pain, we take it in with our fear and anxiety, and become even more worried...

Andy B

Stella likes this.
  3. Stella

Stella Well known member

I was talking with my husband yesterday about the incredible progress I have made. He would massage my IT band on the side of my thigh. It was hard as a rock. At the time I Had started a new job feeling terribly insecure. Then I had problems with my heels. They felt loose. They were red, swollen and painful to touch. I cut the heels out of my tennis shoes.

Then cramping in my abdomen and gluts then urinary problems. My husband continued to massage. He could not believe the tightness. He now is totally convinced and even talks to others about this.

I have had leg cramps for years. My Mother still has them. Well, if she had them it is natural that I would..right? The power of the mind is amazing.

It is hard to believe, just hard to imagine what all the mind is capable of creating in the body. Redness, swelling, tightness, pain ..

4. Shells

Shells Peer Supporter

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments and glad to know that others could actually see the physical symptoms as well.
    It's so challenging to think psychologically when it feels so bad.

In reading, Dr. Sarno's book did say that you can tell the difference that legitimate overuse or sorness and TMS because TMS is "nasty" pain.
    Funny because I have told my PT that before when she told me to expect soreness....I'd say... this is not regular soreness so I guess I do know the difference.
    Just getting it to really sink in will be the challenge for me as I'm sure it is for most people.

I have noticed that it does seem to get worse when I stress about it and try to stretch it out move, etc.
    Probably another clue.
    Trying to get rid of it is an addiction!! No wonder it works so well as a distraction!!

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Shells. It looks like you're making good progress toward healing, but I hope you can increase your belief in TMS to 100 percent. You will heal faster that way because it takes total belief your pain is from your emotions and is not structural. Have a great day and do things that make you happy.