1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 - TMS Personality Traits

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Freedom, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

After looking at the Wiki, I think I have the following:

Stoic
    This one rang true. I definitely feel uncomfortable showing emotions in front of others, including family. I would DEFINITELY hold back on crying in front of others, especially family.
    I can't really remember getting outwardly extremely angry almost ever.

Yes I think if someone saw me get angry or sad they would think something is wrong with me.

Low Self Esteem
    I feel that I am not particularly good at any activity
    I overthink what to say in social situations (filtering myself) and then beat myself up for it afterwards

-Andrew

jaumeb likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Andrew. You are discovering the emotions causing your pain.

I've had a few friends who were stoics, and it was very hard on those who loved them. You don't have to change completely from being a stoic, not showing your emotions. Just maybe try to modify that, if possible.

Low self-esteem is a common cause of TMS pain. Try not to judge yourself so harshly. You're careful in what you say to others, and that's not a bad thing. Most people want others to agree with them. I stay clear of religion and politics, and think it's just prudent to not engage in controversial subjects. Your low self-esteem may simply be because you want to please people and be liked by everyone.

There are some good videos on Youtube about raising self-esteem. You might take a look at them.