1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 Question

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by sberky, Dec 14, 2015.

1. sberky

sberky Newcomer

I heard a lot of disheartening things from doctors over the course of my treatment for chronic wrist and arm pain.

The first thing I was told was to rest my hands, stretch my arms more, and brace my wrists while working. This seemed logical at the time, but it did nothing to help relieve symptoms and cemented a pattern of pain that occurred every time I was at a computer. I thought about protecting my wrists and improving my posture all the time. People still reinforce this idea constantly, so it's difficult for me to let go of this.

As I visited other doctors, I heard all sorts of advice and I tried a lot of things that didn't help. I had MRIs and other nerve testing done, and everything appeared normal. The most disheartening thing to hear was that no doctor could really tell me why I was experiencing the pain. I felt like I couldn't explain my situation to my work until I knew what exactly was going on. I was desperate for some sort of explanation. Eventually, a doctor diagnosed me with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, which led me down a path towards surgery. I was mostly just relieved that there was a name for what I was experiencing and a clear path towards recovery. The surgery ultimately did not fix my pain, but did cause me to make a lot of major changes in my life. I just wish someone had presented me the information, validation, and tools to learn about TMS earlier.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi sberky,
    What is worse than what you were told by a doctor, is what was done to you by a doctor! Wow. I hope your SEP is going well.
    Andy B.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sberky. I am 85 and didn't learn about Dr. Sarno and TMS until three years ago when I began having severe back pain. I am sorry I did not learn about TMS many years ago, but am grateful I know it now. You've learned that surgery does not cure your pain, no matter what doctors call it, so try to believe 100 percent that TMS repressed emotions are causing it. Stick with the SEprogram and it will help you to discover those hurtful emotions. You don't even have to solve the emotional problems you find. Dr. Sarno says that discovering and recognizing them is enough for your subconscious to stop the pain.

Good luck as you progress in the SEProgram. Keep journaling and breathing deeply. They are two of the ways to get well again.