1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4--most disheartening thing..

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cheryl, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Peer Supporter

The most disheartening thing a doctor has told me: When my Gastroenterologist eventually ruled out any and everything that could be causing my stomach problems/pain he told me I had IBS. I knew this is something that MDs do not know how to help, so I was very upset although he thought it was good news. I would have rather have heard that there was something seriously wrong but he could fix it! I really wanted a pill or even surgery that would stop the pain. He had me on amitriptyline for pain for several years, yet it didn't help. When I told him I wanted to go off it for this reason and because of the side effects he told me I was somewhat better than when I first came to him and I would probably get worse if I went off of it. Again...disheartening! I did wean myself off of it but those words of his were buzzing in my ears so I kept being afraid that I need it in order to recover, even while doing Dr. Schubiner's program. Luckily Dr. Schubiner told me I don't need it to recover and I am better off without it. Low and behold! I am doing better.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It's great, Cheryl, that you contacted Dr. Schubiner about your stomach symptoms and
    he encouraged you to give up the medication and think TMS. Anxiety, worry, fear can cause
    stomach problems. When I get any, I try to relax and do deep breathing.

My mother had two recipes for stomach problems. She said they were mostly caused by being
    anxious about something. She recommended a hot cup of milk or a small glass of blackberry brandy.
    Both work for me.

I remember when I was a GI stationed in Germany for a year and went on a weekend trip to
    Brussels, Belgium, for Christmas, with my best pal in the army. We got to the train station in
    Frankfurt at about 6 am on the morning the day before Christmas Eve. Both of us had upset
    stomachs from anxiety about getting to the train on time and the trip ahead. I remembered
    my mother talk about blackberry brandy and we had about an hour before the train would leave,
    so my pal and I went to a tavern across from the train station. I ordered "zwei scharzberry brandy"
    from the barkeep and he smiled and rubbed his stomach. He understood. The brandy soothed our
    anxious stomachs right away and we had a great Christmas.

Cheryl likes this.