1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 37 Day 37 mindfulness

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mmo4, Nov 15, 2013.

1. mmo4

mmo4 Peer Supporter

I am noticing a pattern. I have noticed a pattern. The pain is the worst in the early morning hours and wakes me. Once I am up and getting the kids ready, it goes away. It comes back when I have down time or am doing some task I do not love. It goes when you are in "flow", when you are wrapped up in something so completely, you do not feel the pain. More evidence that this is TMS!!! Probably people who get TMS are so "other-focused" that they do not leave enough time for hobbies for themselves-I know I don't-it would probably help.

I had a little bit of a set back in wondering if it is structural, but I am trying to work my way back to 100% TMS.

yb44 likes this.
  2. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

It's great that you have this awareness, mmo4. I notice the very same thing. In fact last night I attended a mindfulness class and I really wasn't feeling all that great. Instead of the usual pain in the one leg, I had it in both. However we were asked to get up and do five minutes of mindful movement and by the end the pain hadn't exactly stopped but it had faded far into the background so I could concentrate on the rest of the session.

One day this past summer I was in a very bad way pain-wise. I couldn't get comfortable no matter if I was lying down, sitting up or walking around. I noticed a big pile of ironing so decided that hey, if I am going to feel pain no matter what, I may as well get something useful done in the meantime. Well I tackled that pile of ironing and was none the worse for it. Ironing is definitely not my hobby but I do feel pleased when I get it all done. :)

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Ironing, like sewing, is relaxing for me. You attacked a pile of ironing and didn't feel too much pain, and feel good for having done the work.
    It all plays together. Pushing ourselves to do what we'd rather not do, we feel better about ourselves.