1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 34 and what frustrates me...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Archie, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

In answer to the questions - "which part of TMS do you think is frustrating or silly and which personality trait makes you feel this way?"
    - the frustrating thing for me is trying to figure out what is TMS and what is an organic structural problem/injury. The approach is very different - structural would mean taking care of it in some way whereas TMS would be ignoring it. And so I then worry that I can worsen something by ignoring it and carrying on regardless. But equally, I worry that if it is all TMS, I am just perpetuating it!!!
    - the personality trait is really just anxiety, which I have in spades - a real anxiety that I will prolong an injury if it is TMS and then of course, the world will end !

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Archie,

I was just listening to Dr. Sarno on an audio book yesterday and it was the section where he says that all injuries recover in 6 to 8 weeks, including the breaking of the largest bone in the body. So, if your injury happened more than 2 months ago, you can probably know that the injury is healed.
    If you feel pain, it's probably the subconscious mind feeding your nervous system with stress and fear.

Sarno said that to truly heal one must resume their regular life and full physical activity, pushing through the "fear" of hurting oneself.
    Only this will tell the subconscious mind that the "gig is up." You're not going to be in pain, anymore, because your fear will dispel.

Almost everyone who writes on this forum, me included, goes through anxiety. It's hideous. One way I calm my own is to put my hand over my heart and say out loud: "I am safe. All is well. Every day and in every way I am getting better and better."

You can do this. Everyone will support you.

3. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

Hi MWsunnin12, thankyou very much for your reply. Yes, I have read that to, in various books, but I guess I still don't really "get it" so your reply was very helpful. I am going through some intense therapy at the moment so that may explain why I am getting the pain again in a site that I thought had healed very recently. Thankyou again :)

MWsunin12 likes this.