1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 31 personality and current stress

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ithantech, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Ithantech

Ithantech Peer Supporter

Have you seen the sculpture of the fierce girl on Wall Street? Her face and who body face the challenge before her and she seems to say "bring it on."

Well that brave girl facing unfair on-slaught resonates with my inner child. From showing courage in the face of trauma as a child, to facing outrageous behavior in work situations, I have stood up and taken it. I have so many instances I can recall of taking verbal attacks. I stood quietly, fiercely while the other person was red in the face, veins popping, spit flying.

But why?

An insight today is that I can walk away and say...hey I'll come back when you have calmed down. Or step back and recognize I do not have to take someone else's crap.

There may be some instances that require facing histrionics or standing up for what is right....

But simply being a punching bag for a narcissist is not one.

I have a new mantra....walk away when you need to walk away.

EileenS likes this.
  2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I wished I could have walked away when the president of our company would do that, but I couldn't back then. I remember how my mind detached from the situation and I started watching that vein in his forehead get bigger, wondering if it's going to explode. his face getting deeper red. Back then, no matter how many times I reminded myself it was his anger problem caused by his father walking out on him and his little brother and his mother, all I could do was be afraid and switch off.
    I have had to do a lot of internal work, but I would, and I do stick up for myself now.

3. Ithantech

Ithantech Peer Supporter

Thanks for sharing. Glad to know I'm not alone.

EileenS likes this.