1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 31 Day 31 - current stressors and my personality

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by oozeworthypayana, Aug 16, 2014.

1. oozeworthypayana

oozeworthypayana New Member

Hi all, sort of on day 31, went on holiday for two weeks and left it all behind, interestingly, in the first week my pain was quite bad but in the second, it was much, much better and I ran and walked 40 miles!

Day 31 asked me to consider current stressors and how my personality affects them. My current stress is that I am for the first time, trying to combine school summer holidays with working. My work used to let me be free during the week but now doesn't - my choice as I get weekends off now. I am lucky as my work is fairly flexible and I work mainly from home. Still - I am someone who feels a very strong sense of responsibility and of course want to do everything well. This has been hard as I feel like I am not giving my proper attention to anything, job is just barely getting done, kid not being properly entertained (that is in my head as she is a teenager and happy as a clam to be left to her own devices sometimes!), house is a proper mess (only by my standards - not by my family's!)

I crave a feeling of everything being 'done' and being done properly and feel like that will never happen. <y 'job' is actually 2 different roles so there are a million spinning plates!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Yo8u're doing great, walking and running 40 miles.
    Congratulations on doing the SEP. I'm sure it will keep helping you.

Your current stressor of being a perfectionist needs some work, but you know you can do it.
    Just take off the white gloves and don't worry if the house isn't kept up to your standards.
    So long as it's reasonably clean and organized, who cares?

I think it's good for you and your son or daughter to be left to their own devices more often.
    They learn and grow that way and they don't free like a police woman is watching their every move.

Forum Administrator likes this.
  3. oozeworthypayana

Thanks Walt, I know you are right, what I feel is that in my conscious mind I know that it is okay not to be perfect and that it isn't possible but that my subconscious still wants that. We can just do our best and try to learn.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi again, oozeworthy...

Day 31 of the SEP focuses on how women can have more or different symptoms than men, and vice versa.
    I suspect that's because, in general, women may be more goodist people and more caregivers, to
    their children or elderly parents or those sick or injured.

If you feel that maybe your subconscious mind wants you to be more perfect, tell it to take a walk.
    You know you're doing your best.

Maybe this refresher video from Herbie can help...

http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/what-to-know-to-heal-from-pain-pt-1.5482/

Forum Administrator likes this.
  5. oozeworthypayana

Thanks Walt - you are a dude! I enjoyed that! I am keeping going, I ran 12.1 miles yesterday - was wondering for a second if my need to run is part of perfectionism but no - it's freedom and joy which is what he pain robs you of so am carrying on.