1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by leslie0766, Aug 7, 2013.

1. leslie0766

leslie0766 Peer Supporter

Well, I really used to enjoy running. I gave it up as I felt like it took too much time away from my family and felt guilty about that. I ran a couple marathons and a half marathon years ago, but my daughter was small and the training was time consuming on the weekends and I felt so guilty and angry that I had to run. Being an all or nothing person...it never occured to me that I could just run for the enjoyment of it with no time constraint or distance in mind. Decided to get a pair of running shoes this week and get back at it. Will be slow and steady for sure, but will also be peaceful and nurturing to my spirit. In all honesty, the older I have gotten the more of a worrier I have become. I started to worry that I was too old to run - what if I had a heart attack, etc. Crazy eh! Going to look for a wickedly cool pair of shoes. Will upload picture.

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I want to see those shoes! I used to live close to the University for over 15 years and every day around noon this little old man came running past our house. On warmer days he would have his shirt off. He was old when I first moved into my home. I don't know how old exactly but clearly over 65 and most likely in his mid 70's if I had to guess. I never spoke to him for some reason but it always made me so happy to see him running past like clockwork come rain or shine. Before I moved I decided I just had to speak with him. He had no idea how much he had meant to me all those years, having babies, making movies, from the time I was 32 to 48 years old. Turns out he was a retired Botany Professor. He told me the name of this exotic tree from Japan on the side of my house and said he had taken a sapling at some point and it was growing in his back yard. He was wonderful and probably in his 80's when I spoke to him on that day. Never too old to run! I certainly understand about being more cautious as you get older. When I look back on the things I used to do, fearlessly, when I was younger, it feels like I am reflecting on a different person entirely. Its good to challenge those assumptions. Perhaps it should be "Young enough to know better" rather than "Old enough to know better."