1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Archie, May 27, 2018.

1. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

I have decided to be less of a taskmaster and allow myself to not necessarily complete a full day's activities in one day - I was getting very anxious about whether I would fit it in to available time - and consequently feel more relaxed about it. I am also now completely sure that my restless legs is a TMS, but they are worse than they have been for ages, and so I have been using remedies to help them, but worry that this indicates I am not 100% convinced deep down . Do I have to give up everything which give me relief in order for this to work? - if anyone has any insights on this I would be very grateful. Thankyou.
    I haven't started to look at my back pain yet!

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Archie,

Symptoms often get worse or change, both because they are TMS, and also in response to beginning your journey of educating yourself about them. Be reassured, this is typical.

Using remedies will not help your recovery, but it is not a deal-breaker. Dr. Sarno recommended some patients take pain pills for instance, "until the pain begins to subside." This is a fine line to walk sometimes, because the main practice is to "think psychologically" instead of physically when you're aware of symptoms.

Andy B

3. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

4. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

Hi Andy B, thankyou for your reply. I understand the "fine line" thing and appreciate the consequences of still taking remedies to help my symptoms. However, until I feel the symptoms are easing, I don't have the courage to face a night without any help at all - as I said, it is pretty bad at the moment (yes I know, FEAR!). One thing I currently do, to try to help symptoms, is to avoid a whole stack of foods, so I will now start eating what I want, which presumably will be a step in the right direction. TMS is making more and more sense to me, and there are other chronic conditions which I have which are now giving me nudges about being TMS a well , not physical. At the moment though I can only focus on the restless legs and hope that in time I can embrace the others too.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Often when you simply focus on one symptom, and make some progress, other symptoms will respond, particularly if you contemplate the other issues as TMS. As my feet pain subsided, so my long-term whiplash pain went away.

6. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

Wonderful, I look forward to it.Thankyou