1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 - Oh my aching back and neck - how do I handle trying to exercise?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cat Lady 13, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Cat Lady 13

Cat Lady 13 New Member

Today we went on a tour of the manufacturing and distribution facilities at my company. I always experience the most pain and achiness when I have to stand for long periods of time. As we went on the tour, I tried to keep telling myself that the pain is TMS, but I did have to lean on things and could not wait to get back to my desk to sit down. And of course, I felt better once I did.

When I got home, I decided I would walk for 30 minutes and keep up my mantra that the pain is TMS. The pain started in my lower back, then I got some pain in my right knee, then by the end of the walk, it was all the way up to my neck and shoulders. What was interesting is that my right knee has a partial replacement and the pain was in the area that had been replaced. I also got a stabbing pain right under my knee cap (that has not been replaced). I wouldn't think I would have pain in the part of my knee that is titanium. I also rode my spin bike for 15 minutes trying to focus on my music and not the pain in my neck and lower back. I am still sore from all of that as I am typing. Perhaps I need to take it slower and not try to do so much. I have been forcing myself to go to the gym 5 days a week for a couple of years now in spite of the pain. That doesn't seem to be working for me. I know that Sarno says that you should resume all activity, but in my case, I NEVER stopped working out. I just did it in spite of the pain. So, how do I handle this?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Something I've learned about TMS--it only leaves when we aren't paying attention to it. You are still very focused on your body and monitoring your pain levels. Try to find a way to shift your attention to something else. When your attention goes to your pain, tell yourself "This is only TMS. There is nothing wrong with my body. I am strong and healthy." Then try to shift your attention to something else outside yourself, e.g. nature, music, other people, animals, an engaging task, etc. Then one day you'll suddenly realize you haven't felt any pain for awhile.

Best wishes.........

nick and jaumeb like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Cat Lady 13. Ellen has given you some excellent advice. You're monitoring your pain too much and too often.
    I'm not surprised that you had some pain when you were standing during that company tour. But you did notice it lessened when you told yourself it was TMS. As for exercise, it might be a good idea to cut back on how often you go to the gym. Or maybe try a regular exercise regimen at the gym one day, then half that the next, etc. You may be pushing yourself too hard. On the positive side, I think it's great that you can put in a day's work at your company and still have energy to take a walk, ride your spin bike, and go to the gym to exercise. That's quit a day's load of activity for anyone, much less someone with pain.

4. Leonor007

Leonor007 New Member

You did the right thing by not stopping your workouts. I did that and now I am having a very hard time resuming it and exercise is essential to a healthy body. In my case when I am busy I function better. I forget about the pain, but when I am at home doing nothing the pain starts, and I have a hard time getting out of this cycle, so the main thing for you is to convince yourself, mainly your subconscious, that you can heal and that the pain comes from your programming, not from any organic roots.