1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3... Exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Teatimetraveller, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Teatimetraveller

Teatimetraveller New Member

Hi again, the last time I exercised was a few days ago. I walked about 600m (out of necessity). Previously, the last time I walked any longer than a 100m resulted in agitating my pain symptoms but I want to keep mobile so tried again. A chiropracter recommended a back support belt but I didn't want to wear it. Half way through the walk pain levels started to rise and I had a sense of hear we go again, I better get back home quick. I was in pain for the rest of the day. Its very frustrating. I'm generally very active and have a very physical job which I haven't been able to do since Jan. The idea of picking anything heavy up, driving or sitting on a sofa does not appeal at all and there's definitely quite a lot of fear of increased pain. I do try to keep as active as I can though and am beginning to attempt to not let pain control my experiences. Easier said than done sometimes.

2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Keep at it! While in the program, I started "exercising" again for the first time in over a year. I rode a stationary bike for 5 minutes a couple of times a week. The next week I did 7 minutes, then 8, 10, 12, 15, and so on. It felt ridiculous, but it helped keep my fears down. If I could ride for 7 minutes without issue, then surely I could do 8 or 9 was the thought. It took a long time to build up, but it helped prevent relapses.