1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 25: Experience reinforced reading

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by David B, Jan 12, 2014.

1. David B

David B Well known member

This is my day 25 post: this past week I have experienced several important lessons none of which are new but none the less critical

1. Don't be afraid to tell people you are recovering from TMS, especially those you think least likely to believe it. In fact you must tell people, it is great affirmation that you are not alone. My unscientific sample tells me that more than half of people, maybe 75%believe that your mind can mess with your body. I found a friend who I would have assumed would tell me to drink more who had never heard of TMS but suffered from back pain for years. one day he figured out on his own it was stress and he just had to think about it differently. Now when he feels it coming on he can stop it. AMAZING!

2. Engage in some physical activity as soon as you can and be consistent. I did 3 very light work outs this week. They weren't all as easy as the first but sticking with them gave me confidence and as an athlete fed my need for physical challenge which has been starved for nearly 2 months.

3. Find the courage to stay even when the pain is peaking. My wife and I were in the process of getting new cell phones which I had forgotten takes a long time. My pain often jumps when I am standing and waiting, my impatient personality kicking into overdrive. No place to sit. No empty wall to lean against. Just a counter to put my hands on. I asked my wife to stop talking to me to see if I could focus on getting it under control. I pretty much did.

As dr Schubiner said, "it's all temporary". I will not submit to the pain again. I might have to slow things down but I know that it's just passing through.

Ellen likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, David. Your three lessons are great reminders to us all, whether healed or healing.

Neighbors have been looking in on me during our subzero and heavy snow wave the past
    two weeks, asking if I need anything. I didn't want to drive in the bad weather so I took them up
    on small grocery shopping for me. Today most of the snow and ice and cold is gone so I did my
    own bigger shopping. Drove to two supermarket, loaded up on fruits, veggies, etc., and got home
    and unloaded them in the refrig and pantry. Then I built a stair-stepper for my dog Annie who is
    starting to think about it before she jumps up on the couch where loves to nap and sleep. I even
    read the instructions without any problem.

Now I'm working at the computer. I'm not in any pain. It would have been easy to rely on
    the neighbors for my shopping, but I didn't want to stop doing my regular activities.

I believe doing regular physical activity like cleaning the house, shopping, cooking, is good both
    physically and mentally.

You're going great not to give in to pain.