1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 24

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Carol Omans, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Carol Omans

Carol Omans Peer Supporter

Being a perfectionist (haha), I am working the program as much as I can. I am also doing Dr. Howard Schubiner's workbook which I find very helpful. I have always written a journal and recorded my dreams. A very interesting thing happened. Now my dreams are giving me clues of subjects I need to journal about!
    It was very exciting to me when I discovered that was happening. So now I am journaling that too. Good thing I like to write.
    The pain is changing. First it was in my hip and leg and knee. I felt like my leg was falling off or disconnecting in some way from my hip. Weird. Now my knee has gone from extreme pain to extreme soreness. I try to walk. At first I'm good but shortly into the walk I become very sore and uncomfortable and limp. I'm 70 but I look like I'm 120 when I'm walking. I'm not sure when to walk and how much. Yesterday I did 25 very slow minutes and today I can barely put one foot in front of the other.
    Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon? The exercise thing is confusing me. I have an offer to get a great 4 year old house broken dog and I really want this dog, but I'm afraid I won't be able to walk it and I'm pretty sure the whole idea is causing me stress! Thanks for reading.

2. Benjiro

Benjiro Peer Supporter

Healing rarely ever follows a linear pattern. Remember that you are essentially healed already (there's nothing structurally wrong with you I take it), and that it's only a matter of time before your body updates to reflect your new reality. I can absolutely relate to the stress of "overdoing it" too early in the recovery process or prematurely taking on an obligation (by choice or necessity). That said, I'm a go-getter when it comes to TMS recovery, so I would probably get the dog, but it might be wise to wait given the stress that it's been generating for you. Go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Also, I don't always recommend books, but since you began with "being a perfectionist" I feel obligated. "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown is a superb read for perfectionists -- I would recommend it to anyone. If you're interested, check out the Table of Contents and Amazon reviews. In my experience, discovering TMS was far better than a pill or surgical cure because it results in healthy lifestyle changes in a number of areas. The symptoms truly are a wake-up call that something has gone amiss. This book helped me achieve the balance I was lacking and aided my recovery in the process.

3. Carol Omans

Carol Omans Peer Supporter

Thank you for your response. I'll be checking out the book today. Have a good week. Be well

Benjiro likes this.