1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 24, Am I a People Pleaser?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Livinginhope, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Livinginhope

Livinginhope Peer Supporter

I am on the 24th day and have definitely seen some changes for the better. Today, the assignment is to write about a character trait call People Pleaser. When I read that I thought, "that isn't me. If anything, I feel that I have grown away from that trait as I have gotten older." Then I starting to journal and what I realized is that perhaps I am a reformed people pleaser but that my pain is a throwback to when I was. Although I do not really consider myself a caretaker for all, anymore, I definitely do not like confrontation, so I think that when someone "graduates" from being a people pleaser, the new improved form may be "non confrontational." That term feels more adult to me and less threatening. It is easy to say that I am not a people pleaser anymore because my role has changed; my kids are grown and out of the house and I work for myself. Even that allows me to craft the world and manage confrontations or the lack of them more easily. So perhaps what I have strived to do, without realizing it, is to keep from engaging with many people and things just so I don't have to have confrontations and ultimately disappoint someone. Hmm. I guess there is more than one way to please people? Just thinking.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Livinginhope. Maybe down deep in your subconscious you are still a people-pleaser. I think we all are, those of us with TMS. We just can't seem to help wanting to be free of confrontations and be liked by others. The main thing is to like ourselves.