1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

day 23

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by karinabrown, Mar 30, 2016.

1. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

big setback

today saw my doctor was feeling sick last weeks
    had the flu and now it turned out i have a earinfection as a result of the cold
    had pretty heavy jawpain and do not feel well
    the doctor said it can take some time to get well now. this could take some time

my first reaction was panic and fear
    in the line of : i cannot deal with this also (on top of the pains)
    then worried about my study etc
    then : i started to wonder (i did that with the flu too) : what is the conection with tms
    but i have decided now that i will try
    hard for the next couple of days not to go into that
    it will only give me more stress
    and that 's not what i need right now
    in fact : it is my normal " (not so normal) reaction to sickness
    to get real worked up
    instead of resting and taking care of myself i usualy get really restless and upset
    now i really want to try to stay calmer and not make it worse

another reason is : i was doing not too bad (also not really good) with the sep
    and my little walks etc and i do not want to mess that up
    want to keep going and try to focus mainly on my foot (and other pains)
    or better set : get the focus off :)
    maybe this sounds somewhat crazy but i think that is enough analizing for me right now
    so let the earstuf be what the doctor says : a result of the flu and give it time
    hope that makes some sense

Karina

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Karina. I think sometimes in TMS healing, it is best to not think of TMS or pain but to find ways to enjoy your time.
    I often think that distractions are very healing. I like to read or listen to music or watch funny movies that I find on Youtube.

The flu can work on our mental state and create emotional stresses and anxiety. But the flu doesn't last forever.

Her is some advice about flu:

How Long Does Flu Last?
    The average case of the flu lasts for around a week but symptoms can linger for up to two weeks. The worst symptoms usually end in three or four days but some effects, like pain and fatigue, can last for a few more days. Below is a description of a typical case.

Day One: The first influenza symptom most people notice is a high temperature. That is usually followed by shivering, a headache, muscle aches, nausea and sometimes dizziness and weakness.

Day Two to Three: The high temperature should disappear, but the other symptoms will remain. You will probably feel very tired, and nausea will develop.

Day Three to Five: Your nose will start to feel stuffy and blocked up even though it becomes runny. You can tell you have the flu if the discharge from the nose is thick and yellowish. You may develop another headache and pain in the face.

Day Five Through 14: The symptoms will gradually get better, but you will feel sore and more tired than usual for up to another week. You may also feel a lack of energy and little desire to participate in normal activities, such as work.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Karina,
    Yes. You're saying you're not interested in putting pressure on yourself about symptoms. You're saying "I don't need to 'fix' this." This is the attitude of allowing and not pouring fuel on the fire. I think you are right on.

4. karinabrown

hi walt,

thanks for your reply!
    but i am past the 'basic flu rules' in terms if lasting days etc cannot explain it in english very well: but this earproblem and sinussen can last for many weeks more it is conciderdc to be a complication due to the flu have antibiotics now.

just meant in my post : on my tms recovery path i am tempted to also analize this in terms of'whats behind it..in terms of emotions'
    but decided not to do that

karina

5. karinabrown

hi Andy,

well i do not want to see this as a tms symptom. i don't really think it is : have a 11 weeks lasting flu epedemic here: (that has never happened ) for now put it on 'bad luck' i am part of it.

maybe my normal reaction is more tms i meant.
    i stress over being sick (colds..flu etc i mean by this) now i try for a change not to do that.
    which is hard and with everythimg i read and learned the last weeks i am tempted to start seeing everyhting as tms : which is a bit too much now to handle. but ofcourse i did think about it shifting symptoms..getting my attension
    even if there should be a link with it..i do not want to act on it right now in terms of tms work.

i am not sure i make sense now..maybe the language is failing me a bit

karina

6. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Hey Karina,
    I have had a tough time the last few days. I mentioned it in my thread. I know it is because I have too much time on my hands this week, and have let my mind get the better of me. Two things I like to share with you about our minds:

1) I have not been sick since the 1990s. Crazy, isn't it? Not really. I haven't allowed myself to get sick, because I have used my chronic pain for my excuse. Instead of getting sick, my pain increases.

2)I want to tell you something that makes me feel better. I tell this to my students and Football Players all the time. And I sincerely believe this....we are here on Earth for such a short while, there truly is nothing worth worrying about. If it is something you can control, then you can take care of it. If not, it always works out in the end. Every single time.

I don't know what your spiritual beliefs are, I happen to be a Christian, and GOD has never ever let me down. I have so many things to be thankful for. I broke my neck right before Christopher Reeves (Superman) fell off the horse and broke his neck and was paralyzed. I may have some pain, but I can still move and control everything. I am thankful, and I am learning to take care of what I can, and what I can't control, I have someone looking over me. I really hope you start to feel better. Just being on this site shows me that you have the strength to get thru all of this. We all do, otherwise, we wouldn't be here.

karinabrown likes this.
  7. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Karina. I'm so sorry to hear about your cascade of symptoms. It seems it never rains but it pours! I'm glad you're on antibiotics now. Where would we be without them?
    I know just how hard it is to be patient and not analyze illness for signs of TMS, but sometimes a virus is a virus and a bacterium is a bacterium, and we have to let modern physicians do what they do best.
    Try to show herself some kindness as you heal. Blessings to you.

karinabrown likes this.
  8. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, Karina, this is great. Don't pressure yourself to use Sarno's work on everything. It can be a form of pressure.

karinabrown likes this.
  9. karinabrown

thank you all for your kind replies: once again: they help keeing things in perspective