1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 20

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Velvet_Hidden, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Velvet_Hidden

Velvet_Hidden Peer Supporter

Since starting the program on January 1st, 2016, I’ve been happy to resume physical activity again! Before learning about TMS I was still conditioned to believe running would make my leg/back problems along the left side of my body worse. I also believed I could only lay on the right side of my body while resting. Since educating my self on TMS and how it’s a mental process which initiates the pain, it has boosted my confidence in believing I can run and resume physical activity again. I began running again back on friday January 6th. I had a slight flare up of TMS pain in my left shoulder but I ran through it. Since that time I’ve had no pain and continue to run daily. To me this is one of my biggest achievements, since I didn’t think i’d run again for close to two years since, my TMS set in. This also give my hope I’ll be able to participate in marathons, and road racing like I used too before TMS took root in my life.

MindBodyPT likes this.
  2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

That is awesome! I'm at a similar point, have started running again and doing other forms of exercise I like (yoga, pilates, going to get back to weight lifting soon). So great to hear it worked well and it must be such a relief!

Velvet_Hidden likes this.
  3. richard13

richard13 Peer Supporter

Good for you, V_H! Nice way to bring in the New Year (ring out the old beliefs, ring in the new): a resolution to allow yourself to overcome your chronic pain and return to running. It is a big achievement to regain the confidence to return to the physical activities that you once feared would bring on more pain. Yeah, I remember that being quite the anxious/scary challenge; brave of you to run through the shoulder flare up and keep on running... and running on to the 26 mile mark!!

4. Velvet_Hidden

Thx, I'm glad to hear your able to return to physical activity again as well! I feel TMS is like a bully you have to continually stand up to for it to go away.

5. Velvet_Hidden

thx for the encouragement, just taking it one day at a time

6. richard13

richard13 Peer Supporter

Hope you and the days and the running miles are still moving along painlessly.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Velvet_Hidden. The others have given you excellent replies. You know about TMS and believe that negative emotions cause physical pain. The fact that you are running again and looking forward to marathons is great. Resuming normal physical exercise and running are very important tools in TMS healing.

Here is a recent post to further encourage you:

"I often get pain in my stomach as a TMS symptom. Last night I felt it coming on after I laid down to sleep. I asked myself what emotions I was feeling, then took several breaths directed at the spot that hurt, and it was gone in minutes! I slept peacefully all night and woke up without any pain. – wife and mother of two young children.

8. richard13

richard13 Peer Supporter

9. richard13

richard13 Peer Supporter

How's it going/running?

10. Velvet_Hidden

Everything is going good man... All my neck, back, leg, arm, and shoulders pains are gone... I've recently returned the gym... with no issues what so ever.... I'm so thankful for Dr. Sarno's work in the the arena of mind-body disorders... thx for the concern man and sorry for the late reply....

richard13 likes this.