1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 20

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ana321, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Ana321

Ana321 Peer Supporter

Hey guys,

If i could change one thing it would probably be my tendency to be severely driven. I know this is not always a bad thing but i honestly don't know how to relax.. I'm learning though. For e.g. for some reason i wake up and 'have' to make sure i'm out of bed early just because.. i need to be up otherwise i am not being productive, god forbid i just sleep in or hang out at home. I don't give myself much space to just be, i always feel like i need to be out, doing, achieving, working, if i'm just doing nothing i am wasting my life etc etc etc, this often results in my waking up from a nap with an elevated heart rate and all the accompanying flight or fight symptoms.

I suppose i am going to try and tell myself it is ok for me to just do nothing and be, i don't always have to be out and about, striving, working, achieving. Productivity is about balance and learning to relax..

Balsa11 likes this.
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Ana. I SO relate to your post. Many years ago someone asked me what I did for fun. (This was while I was in graduate school.) I wasn't able to answer the question, and that was an eye-opener. So I decided to experiment with different activities, until I discovered some that were fun!
    I have some concerns about retiring--which I hope to do in about 5 years. I don't know what I'll do with myself, and I'll miss the kids terribly (I work in a middle school.)
    I think you're right in recognizing that balance is the key. There are even religious orders that focus on the balance between work, prayer, and fun. So even hundreds of years ago, people recognized the need for stopping to just BE.
    Blessings to you!

Balsa11 likes this.