1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 20-Question about Dr. Frances Sommer Anderson's work

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Lala, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Lala

Lala Well known member

I just finished reading Dr. Anderson's article on Day 20 of the SEP. I had a question about the paragraph I quoted below. I am very very curious about the last sentence. She is speaking about people who are quickly book cured from TMS (like I was 10 years ago), but then return for treatment with her after a recurrence of pain that won't go away (like me now). I am very curious to know more about this topic. Can anyone direct me to where specifically I can find her discussing this issue (books? other articles? interviews?) in greater detail?
    Treating Chronic Pain – An Interview with Frances Sommer Anderson, PhD

"How do you go about treating someone with TMS?
    First, I will oversimplify by saying that the treatment is implied in the diagnosis: If hidden/repressed emotions create somatic pain as a distraction or avoidance mechanism to protect the psychological self from intolerable emotional pain, then treatment must aim to identify and help the patient experience and explore those emotions. Now this appears to be very easy for many people–the ones who become pain free after reading a book on TMS. I hear stories about these people from patients and have witnessed this kind of cure among friends and family members. These people didn’t need my help! How they are cured so quickly is a very interesting and important matter that I can’t address further here except to say that I’ve learned a good deal from treating a few of these people over the years after they’ve experienced a recurrence of pain that won’t go away."