1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 2

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Lewisthesamteenth, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Hey all,

I hope this message finds everyone well, enjoying a great recovery and finally taking control of life again.

I had my appointment with the orthopedic surgeon yesterday to review the results of my MRI. The good news is that none of my discs was herniated, but I've got a couple of bulgers at L3-L4 and L4-L5. The surgeon said there was nothing structurally to worry about significantly, that it was actually pretty normal for someone who has done as much running as I have. That was pretty reassuring, especially coming from a guy who makes his living off of back surgeries.

Nevertheless, last night while I was cooking dinner, I felt for the first time a real strike of sciatica pain down my right leg. I could feel a little bit of shooting pain in my lower back before it started, and I think the stress further constricted oxygen flow and sent a bad signal. I'm wondering if my unconscious mind isn't staging a late-game offensive because I'm now starting to go on the attack myself. We'll see how things go. Maybe it was a delayed pain response from the anxiety I had leading up to the doctor's visit.

Had some pinching pains throughout the rest of the evening . . . nothing too serious, just an occasional feeling of weakness/shooting pain that came and went quickly. I walked last night for about an hour, listened to music and talked to my parents, with no symptoms. Almost worked up a sweat for the first time in a while. I may try to do some jogging soon if I'm feeling confident.

I'm also going to see a neurologist whose name appears on the TMS Wiki, since I just discovered that he's covered by my insurance ! I figure it's worth it to have the assurance of an MD that what I'm experiencing is TMS, even though I am 99.9999% convinced that it is just that. But that 0.00001% is still significant.

Woke up this morning feeling just fine. I am going to go walking for an hour or so to get some exercise in for the day. Then to work for a few hours and then the weekend. Phew.

Right now, it's not so bad. I am starting to rid myself of the fear of moving around. A great thanks to the memory of Dr. Sarno!

I hope that everyone here has an amazing day, free of pain and full of love and light. Keep on believing !

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, lewis... You're doing great... all that walking is wonderful. You seem to still want more confirmation that your pains are from your emotions and they are not structural. But go ahead and have an neurologist check you out. Remember that lots of MDs still rely on medication and surgery rather than TMS belief.