1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Program Day 2: The Nature of Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Dumpty

Dumpty Newcomer

I so understand Caligirl. I have been noticing the stress in my pain. Thank you. This video with the dims and Sims really makes sense. I say affirmations and i need to start thinking about my self talk more. All the resources are wonderful!!

2. PlainJane

PlainJane New Member

I couldn't resist responding to you as I've been reading through, here.
    I find that when I'm doing something I enjoy, pain is less. But it has to be a great joy. For example, when I get together with my family yearly I have more energy when I'm there and am able to enjoy myself more. I do usually end up paying the price, but in the moment I'm pretty darned good.
    So, I think it has to do with the fact that you love being out in nature, and loving life at the moment that takes the pain away. And though your job is not 'dangerous' I'm willing to bet you aren't crazy about the work you do.
    But I get where you are coming from. One of my dreams is to paint again. I hurt so bad sitting at the easel, yet it's something I love. Boggles the mind, doesn't it!?

3. ConnieD 2021

ConnieD 2021 Newcomer

Thank you so much for this forum. I am just starting and am so open to the body brain connection. What are the best books to start with ?
    Again, thank so much.

4. PlainJane

PlainJane New Member

Hi, Connie! I, too, am a beginner here but have a really great doctor who has diagnosed me with TMS. I first read "The Mindbody Prescription by Dr. Sarno. I've read it twice. Then she lent me "Unlearn Your Pain" by Dr. Schubiner. It not only tells much of what Sarno says but adds onto it with a whole program with worksheets. To add to this, I read another book by a person who originally took this course with success. I'd have to go back and look in my ereader for it, but it was good reading about the process she went through. It took 2 years for her to become fully well and healthy. I've been at this for about 2 months. I'm just about to start the worksheets in Schubiner's book. I have been meditating for nearly 3 months daily now, too. Boy, that feels good!!! :) My husband got into it with me since he wanted to start meditating, makes it nicer. It wasn't easy finding a meditation that was right for both of us but we found Head Space on Netflix and he got into it so we joined that for one year. But I've found others on YouTube that I love, too.
    I suffer from Fibromyalgia (25 years), Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (8 years), IBS (29 years), anxiety and more. It's ridiculous!
    I am really looking forward to getting well! Already, the anxiety has gone down, but not without having a really bad Extinction Burst. Expect those! I always call them flare-ups, but since I relate that to what I've been going through all of these years when I over do things, I must and do call them extinction bursts. I want my brain to get that this is a different situation. I've noticed my anxiety isn't as bad and I'm able to do a bit more. No great big change, just subtle things. I expect this to take years to get better and that's okay with me. And if it happens sooner, YEA! :) I actually went for a walk around the block with my husband and the dogs yesterday and that's a huge deal for me. Baby steps. Expect baby steps.
    Welcome, and later, after you've read Sarno's book, get back to me and I'll have the name of the book that the lady who went through this here, wrote.
    *Hugs* Jane

joy4moi likes this.
  5. joy4moi

joy4moi New Member

The stabbing sensations I have been experiencing for the past 3.5 years began in a yoga class. To this day, I am mystified. Yoga class was my happy place. For 3.5 years I haven't been able to do most poses. I have been very terrified of the pain sensations I've been having. And in 3.5 years I have also gained 40 pounds. So now, I am beginning to practice yoga again and telling myself that I'm strong and physically healthy...but I'm now overweight and my body feels foreign to me. Ah!

I really appreciated one of the examples in the video being the fear of gaining weight. I've had it my whole life because of my obese mother...so how to overcome this fear? It has manifested due to my inactivity because of TMS pain, and COVID-19 especially limiting things I've been able to do.

Forest likes this.
  6. Avelenarose

Avelenarose Newcomer

Even though you commented 7 years ago, this is exactly what I needed to hear today. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here

7. Avelenarose

Avelenarose Newcomer

I needed to hear both as well!