1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 2 - anxiety

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Archie, May 24, 2018.

1. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

I have read the day 2, except for the TMS summary (have to wait until tomorrow) and done some writing , and just feel this immense anxiety about doing the programme. I am sure TMS is real, and reading more helps to confirm that it is causing my RLS, but internally I feel in a sort of anxiety-freefall! Does this ring any bells with anyone? or does anyone have any suggestions as to why I am getting such strong feelings ? thanks

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Archie, and welcome to the TMSwiki forum! This totally makes sense to me - and I suspect to plenty of others. I think it's a combination of anxiety and procrastination - and the procrastination is all about fear. Fear of failure, or fear of going down the wrong path and wasting time, or perhaps fear of doing it wrong and missing the boat - take your pick?

The beauty of the SEP is that it's structured, and it's just one day at a time. Or more than one day, if you need more time to absorb it. There's no wrong way to do the SEP - as long as you're DOING the SEP. It's a lot of new information, so give yourself room and time to breathe and take it in.

Also, consider the fact that your brain might be trying to sabotage you. Seriously - I saw my brain do that when I was doing the SEP (back in 2011). I discovered that it was trying to keep me from writing down some old thoughts and past incidents that popped into my head during the writing exercises. It literally tried to convince me they were stupid and unimportant, and indeed - they didn't seem very important. Yet I realized that they were things I didn't really want to remember, so I ignored the messages in my brain, forced myself to write them down anyway - and it turned out they were very revealing about my personality and relationships.

So my advice is fight back against your unconscious brain which does NOT want you to examine things that make you uncomfortable. Be completely honest with yourself, and force yourself to look at everything that comes up. Your unconscious fearful brain will realize that doing so is NOT going to kill you, and in the end you'll be relieved and glad that you did it.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

~Jan

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  3. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

Hi Jan, thankyou so much for your reply - your first para pretty much sums it up for me! And it was vastly reassuring to read your lines "There's no wrong way to do the SEP - as long as you're DOING he SEP. It's a lot of new information, so give yourself room and time to breathe and take it in. ". Thankyou so much again :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.