1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

day 19

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by karinabrown, Mar 26, 2016.

1. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

have you done anything that makes you proud?

proud is too big a word : I am pleased with my self for going for a little walk 2-3 times a week
    for the past 7 weeks, although i still really not looking forward to it, and still feel tense when i go
    i have not extended the walks so far : just forcing myself to go these days
    which is a new approach for me : in the past when i tried this : i increased too soon : got more pain :
    and got totally scared en stopped doing it
    the last times i noticed my surroundings a bit more for the first time instead of 100% focusing on what i felt
    and i do think that is good because i really missed being outdoors and being in nature
    at the same time this makes me sad, to think of what i lost and have been missing for so long
    So : i am pleased and must try hard not to get sad at the same time
    again mixed emotions for me

Back at the question have you done anything that makes you proud ?: Yes in the middle
    of this pain problem (one year ago) and when i was totally overwhelmed i took the decision to
    start studying. Followed a passion i had for 20 years. While at the same time had no clue( and still don't) if i could ever normally function, i started anyway. the first half year i could hardly sit for more than 30 minutes.
    Made progress with the sitting (not with the walking ) and the study in it self is going well ,my grates are good : that 's making me proud . And somethimes i think : if i can do this : maybe i can
    overcome the pain too and some day walk again?! so it became more than a carreer option.

did almost 45 minutes about typing this : it is so much easier to complain en beat myself up:)
    strange to think about being proud.

Karin

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Karin,
    You are doing so well, in your gentle progress, and seeing your patterns of mind. Interesting how we tend to focus on what needs improving, what we fear, or what we don't have! I hope you can observe this tendency with gentleness. I am teaching a self-compassion class, and every day we are contemplating: What makes me happy? Just this thought is cool. And each day or moment, it might be something different. We become students of our own happiness!! Maybe you're becoming a student of your own pride! Or happiness. I can see your pride makes you happy.
    Andy B

3. karinabrown

Hi Andy,

I am still amazed about this site. Today tried to remember how i came 'here' and i could not remember. I do think it is for a reason i found it and somehow i think change will come from it.
    I don't know in what way but hopefully i will become clearer. Again: People like yourself make a lot of difference. Thanks for pointing out things i have forgotten.
    And just making doubts easier to get past or move along with them..
    Greetings
    Karina

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

You are welcome Karina.

5. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Karina. I'm impressed at your courage in following your passion, even though you weren't sure you'd be physically up for it. It reminds of the saying "Act as if!" as in act as if you're successful and you will be.
    Blessings to you.

karinabrown likes this.
  6. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Hi Karina,
    You're doing great with the walking. I think this will be a big part in your recovery. Remember to think Psychologically about what is causing your pain, not physically. Also, progress is progress:) Have a GREAT Easter!!

7. karinabrown

Hi fbcoach,

The walking is a very very short distance if I will be able to walk more : it will make a difference
    If I once again cannot get futher : it will be hard on me! so progress would be great

8. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Hey Karina,
    I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, but Exercise and Fitness is my expertise. With that said, it is always better to train (walk) frequently, than too hard or too much volume (distance). Your doing great just by doing what you can. Your training your nervous system to adapt....and it will over time. Keep up the great work.

9. karinabrown

Hi fbcoach,
    Don't worry about coming off as know-it -all: You don't! Really appriciate the advise (forgive me for making english mistakes)
    I did not see my walks as'retraining my nervous system' but i like that: Maybe i can tell that to myself next time..instead of retraining my foot ..interesting to try!
    Thank u!

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Karina. I agree with the others that you are making very good progress. Walking with or without pain or fear is so important in healing. You are getting stronger each time you take a walk, no matter how short. It tells your subconscious that you are in control of yourself. Maybe when you come back from your walk, stay outdoors a while, just move your arms around while you take some deep breaths... The recommended numbers are
    inhale through the mouth to 4 while inflating your belly. Then hold for a count of 7. Then exhale through the mouth to the count of 8 making a "whooshing" sound. Repeat 3 more times. Do this several times a day or as often as you want. Deep breathing creates a profound calming effect.

Continued good luck to you.

karinabrown likes this.
  11. karinabrown

Hi Walt,

Wish i was already believing i am getting stronger each walk..not now but will work on that .
    Good advise to stay a bit longer out: Did that last Time : Sat on the bench in front of my house and took the dog there too: He sniffin for neighbour cats and i was enjoying to look at the bussy birds for a while. Always loved spring so much ! Thank you all for the positive tips and compliments
    Karina