1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 19

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by annarowens, Jan 11, 2016.

1. annarowens

annarowens Peer Supporter

Hello everyone,
    I am on day 19, and the question to ponder is about whether I have done something to make myself proud. The answer is yes. I have cut back my pain medication and while I still take it, I don't take it nearly as much. This makes me very proud because I know I not only did it through using the concepts of the program, I am further convinced that this is indeed TMS and will get completely well in time. It is difficult to have patience and I am like everyone starting out, good days and bad days. I wish I would have been one of those who had a very quick recovery, but regardless I will recover. I am taking stock of what is going on in my body a lot more and speaking up to that inner bully! I'm also acknowledging myself for the fact that I am worthy of love regardless of any external things I may do or accomplishments, my looks, my age, my mate, whatever. I am a human being and uniquely created by God. That is all I need to be worthy of unconditional love. I realized the bully had been beating my mind up and thus beating me up for far too long. Taking control of the situation through self-awareness is where it's at for me, and not internalizing the pressure thoughts as my own but as my inner bully that I am sure my mind has the power over. So with that being said, I intend to do yoga tomorrow with my shoulder doing whatever its going to do. Because it is just coming from that inner bully and in the end, he is just smoke and mirrors.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi annarowens,

What a wonderful note. I think you do have a lot to be proud of. It seems you are learning so much. I really am happy for you.

If you let got of the symptoms, and focus on your relationships within yourself --the way you are doing-- I really think you'll progress just fine. I keep focusing with clients, and myself, on the Inner Bully and self compassion, and these two pieces keep bringing more and more self-contact, which is one antidote for TMS.

Plus, it is satisfying to have warmth, and protection for our vulnerability and tenderness.

This is the truth, and we have to work with courage to overcome our conditioning which blocks this awareness. When you are not in this clear awareness of who you really are, then you can also feel yourself as being cut off, and allow compassion for yourself in this state too. There is always compassion when we let ourselves fall. This is a hard truth to learn!

I am excited for your learning, annarowens.

Andy B.

Andy B.

3. annarowens

Thank you Andy!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Annarowens and Andy. I can vouch for how good it feels to challenge yourself and not let fear get to you.
    I am 85 and healed from severe back pain through TMS knowledge and doing the SEProgram. I discovered repressed emotions going back to my parents divorcing when I was 7.

So what about vouching for challenging myself and not fearing. It snowed here in the Chicago area overnight but my next-door neighbor has apparently stopped helping clear out my driveway and the walk to my front door. He is a strapping rugby player and his teenage son plays high school rugby and could be a football linebacker in size. The guy I have paid before to clear away my snow doesn't answer his phone anymore (I think he went South).

So despite fearing I would hurt my back, I shoveled myself out. The snow was light so I pushed it and didn't lift it. I did the job and my back did not hurt. Mind over matter, I believe. TMS for sure. I feel stronger for having done the work. Sarno and Steve Ozanich say keeping active is important, and I agree.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Walt,
    Congratulations on this. How wonderful to see the fear, not believe it, and have such success!! A great experience! And you got some great exercise.
    Andy B.

6. annarowens

Awesome job Walt! I hope I get to say that soon about exercise! Did your back ever hurt at first when you started doing things such as this? If so, did you just remind yourself it was TMS and not let it alarm you?In the past when I have exercised, my shoulder has flared up so I have been avoiding it. I think its time for me to start again though and if it hurts, just continue the process. You are definitely an inspiration to me!