1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 19 Day 19 Working with suggestibility--anyone?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Marian, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

One of the personality traits I'm looking at right now is my suggestibility. I'm one of those people who can adopt a TMS symptom just by talking to someone who has it. That's how I got my RSI. I'm beginning to think it may be the source of the knee pain as well (RSI is 90% resolved).

I can't watch TV shows like House, or other medical type shows because if I see emotional portrayals of someone with a weird symptom, I have to fight against bringing it into my own psyche, if you know what I mean.

I even have trouble reading people's entries on this forum at times because there are things I've never heard of before, and ack! I don't want to add to my lexicon of possible symptoms!

Now I am beginning to look at my suggestibility in a different light. I'm beginning to believe that I can use it... that it's actually a gift. It takes some effort, but I am beginning to give myself new suggestions, deliberately, after meditation in the morning.

I've been afraid of this aspect of my mind all my life. Now I feel as though maybe I can learn to use it to my advantage.

Has anyone else had good experiences turning their suggestibility around and using it in positive ways?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. DanielleMRD

DanielleMRD Peer Supporter

I'm the exact same way and attempting exactly what you are in the way of using that suggestibility to heal. It's been working pretty well, but I still struggle with the symptom imparative...belief is a powerful force. I too realized that I couldn't hide under a rock in fear of what might be suggested to me next. It does take effort. You're definitely on to something! Thanks for sharing :)

3. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Wow. Thanks Danielle. Glad to hear from someone who is working with the same thing. I too have the symptom imperative. Sometimes it's actually funny. Not exactly ha-ha funny, but you know, how quickly I will get another symptom if the previous one is no longer functioning. Just amazing.

I'm reading a book that is helping me to come at this from a new direction. It is called "You are the Placebo" by Joe Dispenza. I'm getting new concepts and techniques from him that are helping me believe I can actually turn this around.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes you can Marion, Use your suggestibility powers for your health instead of feeding the fear. You have a very powerful mind, use it to create the life you want, you created this Rsi so now create a healthy body, you have the tools, its the positive forces of your mind. Work on loosing all fear, its you agreeing with thoughts of fear that create the fear thus the pain, now create thoughts of peace, patience, power and self control. You have the right idea.
    Bless you

Marian likes this.
  5. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Thank you Eric. I think that's really it... replacing fear thoughts with empowered, loving thoughts. I have never truly believed I could do that in relation to my body, even though I have done it in other areas of my life. But now it is so exciting to think that maybe, just maybe, this is actually possible. What if I can actually do this?!?

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Marian you can do this, that's what I did. My thoughts had backfired on me and I was using them for worry and fear, doubt and despair but after I realized I had the same power in my focus and thinking for good thoughts and thus positive emotions and energy I fired that into my system with fervor and passion, not any harder than I had already been doing, I just changed the current from negative to positive and the power was and still is there. A positive thought is hundreds of time stronger than the negative,
    Start believing in all the good emotions and get attached to them and loose the attachments to the fear, don't even ponder the fear thoughts anymore. You got this, welcome to the world of higher vibration frequencies my friend.
    Bless You

DanielleMRD and Marian like this.
  7. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Higher vibration frequencies is exactly it, Eric. To believe in my own power to make this change is amazing. Thank you so much. You are the soul of kindness and I appreciate your encouragement more than you can know. Onward!

8. DanielleMRD

DanielleMRD Peer Supporter

Hi Marian, I just finished Dr. Joe's other book, "Breaking the habit of being yourself" and loved it. I look forward to reading his newest book! I'm trying to meditate, but it's slow going. You can definitely turn this around, we both can!

9. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Hi Danielle, I believe we can! Good luck with meditation. For me it took a number of years before I felt comfortable with it and now, for the first time, I look forward to that 20 minutes in the morning. Combining my usual style of meditation on the breath, with what I'm learning about TMS and Dr. Dispenza's advice has made me feel so much more confident that I can make these changes. I'm beginning to understand now where my negative suggestibility comes from, that it's me internalizing my mother's voice. That was a revelation to me. I'm looking forward to finding out more and no longer fearing a part of my own mind!!!!