1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 19: Did something I am proud of

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by TheWayBackUp, Aug 7, 2017.

1. TheWayBackUp

TheWayBackUp Peer Supporter

In response to the prompt, I was thinking about how I enjoyed my role as director of a 3 day gymnastics camp in spite of my 'bad' ankle and wrist. I was in pain with both areas, more so my wrist, and in the past I had camps (this was my fifth one) where I worried so much about whether the pain would allow me to 'get through' my job at the event. I began the SEP program just before camp, and while I was not pain free, I didn't allow the pain to take away from my enjoyment and performance at the event. I didn't project out that I wouldn't be able to x, y or z or worry about what would happen if I could not. I admit, I was in a lot of pain right before the event and wasn't sure I could pull it off. I was actually in less pain six months ago at the last camp even though I've had six months to 'heal.' However, after allowing myself to think about it, I realized that if the worst case happened and I couldn't walk at all (this has happened to me before) I could still run the camp--I might have to do it using a walking boot, or even from a chair but it could be done. So I feel like once I realized my camp would not be 'ruined' if I did end up in pain (It's way more walking and some extra lifting than is in my daily life)--once I realized the world wouldn't end and it would be ok, my pain magically lessened a lot. So I am proud that I was able to get to that point where I could lessen my own pain with these thoughts and steps in the program.

2. srton

srton Well known member

way to go!!!
    Self love and self care are a big part of my recovery this time around.
    It's awesome to see others taking pride in the process!!!!
    Big hugs and keep up the good work!

TheWayBackUp likes this.