1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

day 18: What I am proud of

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Rachel72, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Rachel72

Rachel72 New Member

I have noticed subtle changes in the way I am dealing with some of the stressors in my life. Although I have known many of my triggers for a long time, going through this process has made me look at them at a much deeper level, which, in turn, has made me much more aware of when a trigger pops up. I have a bad habit of getting swept away in the tide of family drama and work stress, and by the time I realize it's happened, I am in full-blown anxiety mode. This program is helping me recognize things sooner.

I am proud of myself for giving ME time to take care of myself both physically and emotionally. A few days ago, I was becoming preoccupied with thoughts about my job. I was sitting on the edge of my bed and when I stood up, I had a sharp pain sear into the back of my left knee and down my leg. I immediately told myself, Oh, come on, you have never had pain in your left knee before and have never injured it, so this is bullshit! I related the pain to my burgeoning anxiety about work, told myself I was fine, went to the gym and did a work out, practiced a bit more self-talk during the day, and by dinner, the pain was gone. Love it!!!!

Ines likes this.
  2. Ines

Ines Well known member

good job!

3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Way to go, Rachel! The more frequently you challenge your subC in these situations, the more confidence you'll have in your ability to banish the pain.
    Congrats on your success!

4. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

That took a lot of courage Rachel, and you should be very proud.
    As for getting sucked into the family drama and work-related stress, I think most people with TMS struggle with those issues, as well. in my case, it helps to relieve the anxieties from those issues by reminding myself that I have done what I could, and that I cannot control what I can't control. Again, great job on overcoming the knee pain. You just taught your unconscious brain and autonomic nervous system a positive lesson. Keep developing those pyscho-neuro-muscular pathways :))