1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 17 How can you be mindful and still meet deadlines?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cat Lady 13, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Cat Lady 13

Cat Lady 13 New Member

i understand that I live too much in the past and future. But part of being a responsible human and doing my job at work is to plan for the future just to get my work done. I just can't stick my head in the sand and pretend I don't have to worry about the work I have to get done by the end of the day. We have deadlines at work. How do you balance mindfulness and deadlines?

The bills have to get paid and the grocery shopping needs to be done. The car needs an oil change. Appointments need to be made. How do you not worry about all those things that need to get done? They won't get done by themselves.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Cat Lady,

There's a difference in planning for the future and worrying about the future. Planning is an activity done in the present, e.g. making a list of what to take on a trip, buying what you need, packing your bag. These tasks can be done mindfully. Worrying accomplishes nothing, and is just unproductive thinking that raises one's anxiety level and robs us of the joy to be found in the present.

So, yes, planning is necessary and productive. Worrying is useless. Do what you can/must to get things done, but once you do it, let it go. Our perfectionism can lead us to worry that we haven't done enough or done it correctly. We need to cultivate a tolerance for the unknown in order to relax in the present. It's a matter of finding the balance between planning and letting go.

npoise, Tennis Tom and jaumeb like this.