1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

day 16 : telling about tms therapy

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by karinabrown, Mar 14, 2016.

1. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hello,

day 16 : question : did you tell anyone about this tms therapy program?
    I did tell my husband : I explained , which was easy : he is a very open minded man
    and he is open to a lot of things. Which is remarkable because he has so little stress issues
    himself. a relaxed and trusting man by nature. Big luck and love i have ..gratefull for that.

For the rest : I did not tell anyone
    I asked my self why?
    answers are : I am not ready want to keep this to my self for now:
    but that already happened before the tms : my medical apppointments where
    already pretty boring I guess for others before that : when you have pain
    for a couple of years and no doctors seem to be able to help : for others i gets old news i noticed
    there is a stressor on its own " are you still not able to walk"..djee". ? mad me angry and sad some times
    and these are nice people who are friends and family and i know for a fact that they wish me the best
    but for them : life went on ..and mine didn't

so maybe : i am not telling now to save myself from all sorts of comments and questions and explanations
    or maybe i am a bit ashamed : tms has to do with my personality and way to react on stressors and
    that feels like failing somehow...like i have been searching for years and blaming my body for nothing
    i do not know : maybe a bit of both..shame..blame..afraid of reactions. do not want to deal
    with that right now.
    should i?

Karina

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Karina,

Everything you write makes sense to me. If I were you, I would not discuss the Sarno work with others at this time. Wait until you're through with the symptoms, if then. I am glad your husband is there to listen and understand. Eventually you may tell many people and help them.

It is good to know this is the feeling that is coming up, and have compassion for yourself. Dr. Sarno has said that "everyone has TMS." The feeling that we did this to ourselves out of foolishness or weakness is, of course wrong!

Andy B

3. karinabrown

Hi Andy,

Lately i am starting also to think that a lot of people have tms..some things that happened to people i know starting make me wonder.
    Difference : They can work and function (for what i can see) and than it is easier to somehow ignore..you still can 'run' from it ..just typing this now: Made me smile : The irony of that remark!
    I am thinking about that a lot : If i still could walk..kept my job..etc etc..but was dealing with shoulderpain alone : I would also be able to hide it..my life would affected but not so much as now..maybe there is a lesson there for me?

But i also feel that a lot of people around me would not be open to this concept of tmstherapy for exact same reasons i am strugling with it. Interesting thing is that its hopefull for me and at the same time scarry..strange combination i think.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Karina. I agree that the concept of TMS therapy can be scary, but I look at it in a beneficial, wonderful scary way. It makes us look into ourselves and discover who we really are. We are a lot better person than we may think. It can be easy to go through life just ignoring our inner selves, filling our days and nights with distractions, but hat only gets us on a treadmill to nowhere. TMS gets us going forward into being a healthier, happier person.

5. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Karina.
    I too have a supportive husband, so telling him was easy. I did notice a reluctance to tell coworkers and others who wondered what happened since I seemd so much better. I finally decided to go with something simple like, "It turned out to be stress-related, so I've been exploring mind-body work and had a great deal of success." Those who sincerely wanted to know more, I told about TMS wiki.

I did resent the fact that it took me 2years to clue into this last bout of TMS. However, when I realized that, I decided instead to celebrate the fact that I discovered what worked, and that I was now pain-free.
    Blessings to you.

6. karinabrown

Hi Gigi,

well decicited at least for now to hold back
    on telling.
    and you've reminded me that all the shame ..etc about my own strugling with accepting bodymind sydrome is crazy: All that matters is getting better! Before this i always said: I do not care what i takes to walk again: I will do it..'
    Maybe now to discover that i don't have to do something but stop doing something..

What is interesting so far is..although i am not really more mobile ..i did get remarks last 2 weeks : You seem different? More possitive'..you seem better..are you'?
    So maybe something is shifting ..

Thanks for your reply

Karina

7. TooTallTom

TooTallTom New Member

Hi Karina. This was an interesting post thread to me, just starting out on day 5, as I've told lots of people already and even recommended a couple have a look at TMS themselves. I think that must be because I'm so convinced and positive about the chance of getting better that I'm excited and this excitement means I want to tell people. I pondered why I might not be embarrassed that people might think I'm crazy or weak for believing "it's all in my head" and I can't really find a reason why. Conversely I have a new job interview coming up and I haven't told many people because I want it so bad and am scared of the "public" failure if I don't get it. I guess if you compare these two issues based on the persoanlity trait of wanting to succeed and fear of failure then I must just be convinced that TMS is going to work for me. I don't know, still thinking on it. In the meantime I love telling people about TMS in case I tell someone who finds it works for them and it changes their life - spread the love and all that! Maybe in years to come when more research has been done and it is more widely accepted there will be no stigma and general doctors will be prescribing TMS therapy instead of pills. Perhaps if this happens there will even be less TMS as people are more aware of it from an earlier stage. Anyway, the best thing I find about this Wiki is people can choose to do exactly what is right for them and people support them in that decision. So well done for only telling your husband, well done if you want to tell anyone else, and well done if you never tell anyone else. As you say, "All that matters is getting better!". That's so true and I'm saying that to myself now. Thanks.

8. karinabrown

Hi Tom,

It is interesting that we really are so much alike and at the same time different.
    You telling from the start about this therapy i think is brave. For me i am not sure me not telling to a lot of people is not really a lack of trust in it..maybe it is more so that i noticed in the past years that all sorts of remarks..and opinions can mess with my own thoughts..even if they mean well..
    So not perse bad remarks but also questions as ' how long' ..questions about progress etc.is just not good for me now. Pressure will come from that and that's just not what i want. Just learning about triggers' well that's one of them.
    For you that could be entirely different.
    You right about this Wiki ..it is unique en the people here are great and the support i had so far is really helpfull and makes a difference when you struggle..doubt..have succes just every part of it!
    Wish you well
    Karina