1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 16 Since starting this program have you told anyone about your condition and TMS?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by overcomingposttib, Mar 6, 2023.

1. overcomingposttib

overcomingposttib New Member

Since reading up on TMS, I have totally stopped talking about my foot pain with everyone, at work, my friends, my family etc. If someone brings it up I say all good and change the subject. I feel like it has helped since doing this as I identify less as someone 'in pain', I give the pain less attention and I am able to be more present in day to day life. I recently told my boyfriend I am doing this programme, I had a flare up a few weeks ago and found it quite hard emotionally. He has been very supportive about it which is amazing. I've decided not to tell anyone else though as I don't want to talk about my pain with others.. I am starting therapy again in the next few weeks with a new therapist to help with my anxiety so I'll likely tell them.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Absolutely tell your new therapist, @overcomingposttib! I would like to think that mindbody knowledge is part of every therapist's toolkit these days, and in fact given the amount of information available about it, I feel like ignoring it would be malpractice. For sure, it's going to be a significant offering in the regular continuing education that licensed professionals must take.

Back in the day when I started doing this work, people would ask their therapists to read Dr Sarno, and they would report back that their therapy was significantly more effective as a result.

Mental health practitioners should check out the the PPDA here: www.ppdassociation.org

The whole point of this work is that it's all connected, after all!