1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 16 Day 16 - my personality is changing but is it for the better?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Ruth_L, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Ruth_L

Ruth_L Peer Supporter

I feel like I'm really getting in touch with my anger to the point where I react badly to my DH telling me anything. I'm grateful that I am not in a job situation where you always have to eat the shit sandwich, keep your head down & just do things.

So now I'm reacting to him giving me unwanted advice. I really can't handle it, apparently. I'm becoming more like my teenage self and not wanting to be told anything by anyone. I feel angry a lot more. It's all coming out.

I'm not sure this is a good thing, I'm just observing here.

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Don't worry! I think it's part of the process. When I did the course certain days caused me to have strong reactions. I went through a huge amount of anger at others and then, myself. Despite journaling and meditating daily I still had swingeing moods and I thought my personality had changed for good. I thought I would have to move away from all my relatives and friends cos I had too much resentment and anger against them. But it was just part of the process and I feel much calmer and more myself again now. It is a rollercoaster - coming to terms with repressed emotions, pain, and having to integrate all of it as you go along. Be kind to yourself, accept that it will be a rocky road and that you can't make an omelette without cracking a few heads - err I mean eggs! Explain and share with your husband and hopefully he will understand and be supportive. If not - give him a journal and sit him in front of Day 1! I think we all have TMS tendencies - my husband certainly found that he did - despite being a pretty healthy outdoor worker, he has done 7 days of the course, journalled a fair bit and now meditates with me occasionally! He has not had a moment of back pain since...(most gardeners expect some back pain) I wish you well.

Ellen and Ruth_L like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Ruth. Hecate gives some good encouragement. But she's got a husband who is supporting her in her TMS journey.

Tis the season for our personalities to get edgy. Holiday stresses. We'll soon have less to deal with in January and we can slow down and the anger will ease up. I find myself in more need of deep breathing and other calming techniques.

Ruth_L likes this.
  4. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Oh my gosh, Ruth! I'm so glad you posted about this! I have the same experience... Its a bit shocking to find underneath this smiling goodist - is a raging you know what! I am still so clumsy with expressing my anger or putting up the boundaries with my partner. The TMS has a field day in our relationship. Yesterday I had so much pent up anger from pressure build up - I ended up going for a run and I don't run!!! ha-ha But I did feel better afterwards. I navigate the minefields of the pressure I put on myself along with the pressure put on by my partner... But slowly - I am learning how to drive this personality of mine!
    Thanks Hecate for the heads up that its part of the process and will even out someday!

5. nowtimecoach

Dahlia likes this.
  6. Dahlia

Dahlia Well known member

Thanks for a great smile today - the link worked - I needed it today. I'll remember this image next time I'm in rant-mode and maybe I won't take myself so seriously.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, girls. Nowtimecoach, I'm glad running helped you out of your angry mode.
    And that you're "still laughing." I don't run but I do laugh and it really helps me.

I love the clip, Mary Boz, of the little girl ranting at her dog.
    The poor dog, it doesn't understand why she's so angry at him.
    He probably did nothing bad.
    I'm careful not to let my dog Annie think I'm angry at her about anything.
    She loves being loved and giving love. It's the way to be.

8. nowtimecoach

oh walt… I don't think the little girl is yelling at the dog. She looks like she is just wondering what the heck the little girl is mad about. I still laugh every time I look at it. I have two dogs and they are so sensitive. Like me, they don't like anger.:banghead: