1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 16: Have you told anyone about TMS?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by birder, Apr 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. birder

birder Well known member

Well, I didn't call it TMS and I didn't talk about Dr. Sarno. But when my birding buddy and I first started birdwatching together about six months ago, I told him I had some limitations because of a car accident. Since starting this program, I've amended that to say I'm physically healed from the accident but working through some fear issues. Expressing that (which was surprisingly difficult) has encouraged me to push myself to bird more actively when we go out, and I feel proud of myself. Plus I'm seeing a lot more birds!

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  2. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

This whole issue of talking to other people about it is interesting. One of my best friends from work (although neither of us has been in the office of a year+ nor actually seen each other, because of Covid), is kind of a redneck personality. Although he has a PhD and is a scientist, I know that sounds contradictory. I thought he would probably not get it. But when I finally mentioned what I was going thru with anxiety, etc (although like you not specifically calling it TMS) he was surprisingly supportive and even knowledgeable, noting some cases of personalities who have admitted they had anxiety and panic problems. So I think on the surface, although you might not realize it, way more people are conscious that stress-induced anxiety and other psych issues are real things, and it's not really that unusual.

One of the greatest guys I ever worked with in my life, had been a Lt Col in the Army and at one point a tank commander. He was retired from the military when I worked with him. But at one point he had what was in essence a nervous breakdown, he became unable to drive his car and other problems. You would never have thought this on the surface, he was a completely together guy, funny, a balanced father and husband.

birder likes this.