1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 15, pain moving around

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Marian, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Yes, the pain is moving, changing quality, increasing (not fun, but not as alarming as it used to be) and decreasing, and at times, for brief moments, completely disappearing.

I had one experience that was kind of funny and memorable. I was walking in the woods and trying to not baby my knees--just walk where I wanted to walk and concentrate on enjoying my surroundings instead focusing on my knees. This was going pretty well when I suddenly developed a stabbing pain on the top of my left foot. I had to laugh, really. I looked at the new pain and said to it "Oh hell no, no way." And it was gone within a few seconds.

I feel confident that the pain in my hands, wrists, forearms and elbows and pretty much anywhere else is definitely TMS. I have had the knee pain longer, and so it's a little harder for me to believe it's TMS but it's changing quality lately, getting better and worse, so that is becoming not so set in stone.

JulieB likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

You did it, Marian! You told your unconscious mind you were not going to believe you had pain on top of your left foot,
    that it was another whammy of TMS, and it went away. Isn't it fantastic when that happens?

The unconscious really does move the pain around, until it finally gets your message to stop it, that you know the pain isn't structural, it's psychological.

Congratulations!

Marian likes this.
  3. seanpat

seanpat New Member

My newest TMS symptom is foot pain/numbness on top of the left foot. When I google this it looks like peroneal nerve irritation which enervates the top of the feet. I know I am clenching my butt and legs at night because sometimes I wake up with my left calf very tight like I did toe raises. This one came on gradually which gives me a little pause. I am trying to remember that I have had a neck MRI, back MRI, EMG, bilateral shoulder MRI's, cardiac workups, neurology workups, pulmonary workups, upper GI, lower GI and everything has always come back normal. It got real bad last week and I talked to Steve Ozanich and I stopped fighting it or even ignoring it and it went away for a whole day. If if can go away by not fighting it I am telling myself it has to be TMS. Nerve stuff just freaks me out a little bit. I have had numbness and tingling in my back, hands, butt, face etc hundreds of times in the past. I have decided to not go to a doctor to get anything ruled out because I think that will exacerbate the problem. What do you guys think. Thanks

4. Buckeye

Buckeye Peer Supporter

I'm on day 2 and your post gives me hope. I started because of anxiety and thought I had no real body pains, but today I feel like I was thrown in a log tumbler and am in pain all over my body. I'm telling myself that it's because I'm stiring all this stuff up, but it's still making it so hard to read the materials and focus and not let my mind think it's some form of cancer or something. In the last year, I've been imaged in every way possible with no abnormalities. I can definitely say on an intellectual level that this is all my own doing, but I feel like I still have a ways to go before my physiology is going to give up it's bad habits and quit torturing me.