1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 15 - confused

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by alibry, Jul 5, 2016.

1. alibry

alibry New Member

How do I know which psychological issue to focus on when I get pain? I have a list of 10-15 past events, current events, and personality traits. Overall, pain in most areas of my life has decreased a lot since I've started this program. But when I'm biking (for example), I usually still get that persistent pain in the same spot. All the doctors say "modify activity" and "anti-inflammatories), and I totally identify with the whole TMS concept. But I'm confused about how to figure out which issue I should start thinking about when I get pain. Thanks for any insight.

2. Ines

Ines Well known member

When I started I made sure to give about 20 minutes twice a day and think about letting things go. What I would do is lay down and sort of scan my emotions. Whatever was bothering me I would choose that. Then I would breath and visualize that emotion/thought/experience starting at my toes and going through every body part until I got to my head. Then I would put it in a balloon and visually let it go.
    I would really take my time and do as much as I needed to until I calmed down.
    Then I would mentally make a list of all the things I would do when I was better.
    After that I'd mentally make a list and thank god for everything I had and for my brain and body and this journey.
    It took about 2 weeks but one day I didn't need to do it anymore. Not that my pain is totally gone but I moved on to other exercises.
    I think sometimes you can pin point the emotion that's causing your pain if it's obvious. For example, an argument or stress at work. But, most of the time you will not know because it's in your unconscious. So the only way to beat it is to keep at it and be persistent.
    Keep talking to your brain and tell it " thank you for trying to protect me but I know you are causing me pain because of unconscious anger."
    Meditate, be mindful, be aware , and try to move on with your life. Little by little it gets better. Good luck.

puddleglum, alibry and birdsetfree like this.
  3. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

You don't have to always figure out exactly what is bothering you to decrease the pain, you only have to acknowledge that the cause is psychological. You are preoccupied with the pain, this is what your mind wants you to do to distract you from what it thinks is intolerable emotions. Shift your focus onto what you are doing instead in a mindful way, stay calm and believe that you are doing no damage when the pain comes.

alibry and Ellen like this.
  4. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

I like what birdsetfree says! In the beginning I was consumed with trying to figure out what emotion was causing what pain. It was exhausting! And, I don't know that we can blame every childhood trauma or life event on pain. So, now I am doing what birdsetfree says, just acknowledge that it is psychological and try to exercise or do what you are fearful of.

alibry likes this.
  5. Cenzo_Mezz81

Cenzo_Mezz81 Newcomer

agree with @mncjl123 and @birdsetfree I totally accept TMS but flipping through very long emotional childhood rolodex is exhausting. Im only at the beginning of this journey and when I woke up this morning after mental negotiations with myself. I spent a good 30 mins like trying to pull out the bad ones to reflect on. Pain subsided but I'm not really sure how feasible that is. Luckily next week I am meeting with a TMS counselor that I found on this site who can provide some coaching.

alibry likes this.
  6. Brandon J

Brandon J New Member

I've had this exact same issue. My pain started last year when my dog passed away, the way it happened was extremely unexpected and traumatizing. But i've had a really stressful couple of years aside from that, plus I've realized through journaling that I was bullied pretty much the entire time I was growing up. So I have really been focused on figuring out what exactly caused my pain. I've read a few times that we have to pinpoint the one thing that cause the pain before it can start to go away. But if the emotions are unconscious will we ever really know? And could it also be more than one specific thing? I guess it is best to recognize that the physical symptoms are caused by emotions, I will focus on that from here on out.

alibry likes this.
  7. alibry

alibry New Member

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. That totally makes sense and is super helpful. SO glad I found this path. Cheers!

birdsetfree and Ines like this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, alibry and Brandon and all...

The passing of a dog can be a very stressful time. I had two dogs for 16 years each and when they passed on, I soon bought another dog, a puppy, and gave all my love to it. I also imagined my two previous dogs were inside my new puppy. She is 13 now and adorable but failing. I am 86 so getting another dog is not going to be possible. But if I were younger, I would not hesitate to get another dog, from a shelter like my other dogs.

The stress of losing your dog may have triggered some repressed emotions. They may have to do with loss or abandonment. Keep journaling to discover the emotions that cause your pain. It may be more than one.

Here is a very relaxing youtube video I like very much.

9. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Hi Walt,

Thank you very much for posting this beautiful video. It reminds me of the fantastic walking we did in the Brecon Beacons National Park. I shall watch this frequently, it evokes wonderful memories. The sound effect is very lifelike and I can vividly visualise myself being there.