1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 14

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Alyssa5, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Alyssa5

Alyssa5 New Member

Self care day.. I don't really have any ideas on what to do on these days for myself.. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I have sitting/ pressure pain in the pelvis so an activity that involves prolong sitting may be out of the question.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Alyssa. For a self-care day, try to engage in something that gives you pleasure. Since sitting is painful, take a walk, even if brings some pain.
    Even a short walk can lift your spirits and be good for you physically and emotionally. A walk outdoors is better but if not, just walk around the house.
    While walking, be in the moment. Think about and maybe silently say what you are doing.

If you can, clean a closet or cupboards in the kitchen. Take your time at it, and tell yourself you're enjoying it.

Also if you can, do some easy exercises. You can watch Youtube videos for easy exercises on the computer or tv which also can keep you active.

I hope these suggestions help.

Alyssa5 likes this.
  3. Alyssa5

Alyssa5 New Member

Thank you Walt, yes they help. I just thought that it had to be something big like going to the movies, getting hair or nails done etc. but this is doable. I love Christmas so the next few weeks, I will spend it decorating the house. That is something I enjoy.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Alyssa, for self care, I would suggest learning about mindfulness and specifically looking at being mindful when you walk (enjoying the surrounds), brushing your teeth, washing dishes etc. Spend time with the utmost focuss on the task at hand whilst being presently aware of the moment and not any symptoms.

JanAtheCPA and Alyssa5 like this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I am becoming addicted to my little ten minutes of mindfulness meditation every morning - it's an excellent self-care routine, and easy to learn - there are a ton of resources out there. I recommend Mark Williams' site: http://franticworld.com/ He has several free meditations under the Resources link.

Alyssa5 likes this.