1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 13 - what has helped me to solidify belief in TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by c90danwaiel, Oct 27, 2016.

1. c90danwaiel

c90danwaiel Peer Supporter

I'm on Day 13 - I fell a few days behind, but had a great relaxing weekend socializing and I think it did me some good, even if I missed a few days of the SEP.

So today's question is:

What book, article, or news story has been most helpful in solidifying your belief in your diagnosis?

Well, I’m now convinced 100%, thanks to my crazy pain shifting that occurred about a week and a half ago. My pelvic pain shifting to my feet for a few hours from my pelvic region meant that no physical explanation could make any sense. It had to be TMS. Prior to that, I'd say I was 80-90% sure, but was also skeptical it'd get better even if it was TMS. (Now I'm about 70% pain free in a little over two weeks, while also staying outcome independent and mentally prepared for flares).

Before the experience with the shifting pain though, I’d say that it was a combination of seeing how many books have been written on the subject (all with very high reviews of very thankful people), seeing stories by people in the medical field, and articles (particularly the fact that there has been published journal articles on TMS) that made me realize that there was something significant here. All these people describing relief, the common triggers of stress and anger – there had to be something there.

Funnily enough, if this were something physical, I might attribute their recoveries to it being ‘just in their head’ or due to the ‘power of belief’. But that doesn’t really work for TMS, because the point is that this is psychological. In fact, I had a funny moment after finding out about TMS where I was worried it was just all 'psychological'. Since all the previous physical interventions that I'd had that resulted in some physical relief, albeit temporary, I'd attributed them to placebos, and I began to worry that TMS was just another placebo.

The first book I read - Sarno's "The Divided Mind" was very empowering, because it laid out case after case of people recovering, and also gave a viable explanation for what TMS is and why it occurs. That, combined with reading stories of people with my particular symptoms – pelvic pain – and that recovered, really helped me to believe that my own particular situation was TMS and that I could recover.

Shells and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Nice report overall, and no one ever "lost ground doing the SEP" by spending time enjoying themselves. Bravo!

c90danwaiel and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Absolutely right! You don't need to let your perfectionist inner bully try to convince you that you're somehow failing to meet some kind of expectations (sounds like it didn't succeed anyway). Never forget, that's one of the traits that got you here to begin with!

I'll tell you a secret - I never even finished the SEP. And I never beat myself up over it :D

Your progress and experiences are, in fact, immensely gratifying.

c90danwaiel likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Dan. You're making excellent progress. Your total belief in TMS is helping you immensely. That's what it takes.

Missing a few days of the SEProgram to enjoy yourself socializing also is great. Taking a day or two off of the program now and then is definitely okay.

c90danwaiel likes this.
  5. c90danwaiel

c90danwaiel Peer Supporter

Thanks all! Yep, I had the same thought - even if I miss the SEP a few days, it's probably better that I do and not worry myself over it. Kind of told myself that missing the SEP might be more like actually following it in spirit.

I'm still doing great! My pelvic pain was almost entirely gone today. Only came around when I realized it wasn't there and then, poof, it appeared! Was maybe around for about 20 minutes altogether, and when it was, it really wasn't that bad. I can feel it fading away into the background. Foot pain is still around where it was, but I'm going to put together an evidence list for that one and then do a full hour on the treadmill tomorrow. Still got a tiny bit of belief that it could be structural that I need to take care of.

Thanks again for all of your encouragement!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, heck, we all have those thoughts that pop up, all the time. Don't beat yourself up for having them. Just work on getting in the habit of recognizing them quickly, and countering them with a reminder that there's nothing structurally wrong. Then move on.

You ARE doing great!

c90danwaiel likes this.